From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [gentoo-nfp] Foundation meeting agenda for April 2018 - update1
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 23:10:02
1 On 16/04/2018 01:50, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 3:13 AM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
3 > wrote:
6 >> Nobody contacted us regarding his email and I was not even aware
7 >> it was specifically targeting somebody.
10 > I am going to make a couple of points and then drop this topic. And
11 > Luca, I actually do expect that you will agree with all my points
12 > here. People in senior positions in Gentoo are very aware of the
13 > rules and yet they violate them. And yet they are very quick to use
14 > ComRel as a weapon against those who are critical of them.
15
16 No, it did not happen and is not happening now.
17
18 > People in senior positions in Gentoo *should know the rules*! People
19 > in senior positions in Gentoo *should follow the rules* and *be
20 > examples of the rules*. They should not be the ones taking advantage
21 > of the rules. They should apply the rules to themselves and make
22 > sure that they are sparkly-clean before enforcing them against
23 > others. The CoC is primarily for those who are officially on the
24 > project, and then that sets the standard for interaction with people
25 > who are not officially on the project. But it's not intended to be a
26 > baseball bat that leaders of the project use against the public.
27 >
28 > Do you agree with me so far, if not my methods?
29
30 Your statements are misguided.
31
32 The CoC is not a weapon since the way it is written you have to first
33 make an effort to make the infringing party AWARE that you feel that
34 there is a breach, then contact comrel if the party ignores you, then we
35 try to have the parties come to an understanding if the violation is not
36 blatant.
37
38 Only after that we have to take some more direct action.
39
40 Your blatant small breaches had me warn you once as per
41
42 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:ComRel#Disciplinary_Actions_for_direct_CoC_violations
43
44 > Suggesting that I need to follow CoC procedure to file complaints
45 > against those who are leading the project is, well, sad. It may be
46 > the correct approach, technically, but it is still a sad state of
47 > affairs.
48
49 You should really read that wiki page, it is all written there...
50
51 >> You are willfully behaving in CoC-infringing ways on purpose and
52 >> you stated that yourself.
55 > Previously, yes. Now, no. I am attempting to follow the CoC.
56
57 I'm glad you are now.
58
59 > Maybe what I think is needed at this point is some kind of rule as
60 > follows: if you file a complaint with ComRel, you need to be able to
61 > claim that you yourself are making a best effort to be an example of
62 > the CoC on lists, IRC, etc. If ComRel did a bit of checking on this,
63 > it might be the "equalizer" that prevents these rules from being
64 > one-sidedly enforced, and prevent much of this "weaponizing" of the
65 > CoC.
66
67 You base assumption are pretty wrong and this and the following
68 statements are quite unfair.
69
70 Our code of conduct requires involved parties to give at least a try to
71 get along. Comrel main task is to facilitate this.
72
73 Only if we have serious breaches (e.g. something that could be even
74 actionable by law enforcers) or repeated breaches (or ignoring our
75 warnings) we have to act in a way that is more public.
76
77 Even in that case, because of the privacy regulations AND the fact
78 reporters would be open to retaliation if known, the details available
79 to the public are scarce.
80
81 lu