From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [Discussion and vote] Hire CPA for Fiscal 2020 taxes
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 11:55:13
1 On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 7:08 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > FY2016: $12.5k
4 > FY2017: $11.5k
5 > FY2018: $23k
6 >
7 > So FY2019 should be similar.
8 >
9 > If the price remained at $1.5k a year, this would be around 7% of cash
10 > donations. Isn't this a bit much?
11
12 I have a relative who is part of an accounting business and I suspect
13 they wouldn't even talk to a small business for less than $1k. Being
14 a small organization isn't super-efficient - the compliance
15 requirements are the same as a medium-sized one and the money
16 available is less.
17
18 I do my own taxes, and it would probably cost me hundreds of dollars
19 to pay somebody else to do it for me, despite this not really being
20 hard for me to do. Some of that is risk - I already know my finances
21 and I collect my data in a way that makes it easier to deal with, and
22 I don't have any risk that somebody else left something out which gets
23 me in trouble. A CPA has liability/insurance/etc and they have to
24 carefully go through your records to make sure they look complete and
25 gather data. They also have to deal with billing/taxes/etc since
26 money is changing hands.
27
28 I guess a CS analogy would be the difference between writing a simple
29 shell script vs hiring somebody else to write a simple shell script -
30 just think of the questions you'd ask in designing such a thing to
31 make sure that you're eliciting any hidden requirements, and how much
32 more effort it takes to do it right vs what you'd just cobble together
33 for yourself. Then throw a layer of contracts/billing/etc on top of
34 that.
35
36 Now, certainly the cost to maintain the books ought to be less than
37 the cost to initially get them cleaned up. However, the provider
38 might have been being generous with their rate or treating us as a
39 loss-leader.
40
41 We could DIY it, but IMO that is REALLY risky given our track record.
42 I think at the very least we should have a few solid years behind us
43 and multiple people familiar with the process who are eager to take
44 something like this on before risking that. Then keep in mind the
45 first time you have to pick up the phone to call in help you're going
46 to get the consulting rate.
49 Rich