From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Bylaws change: removing retired developers by default
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2018 20:32:15
1 On 18-06-03 16:22:13, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 3:21 PM Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I am against this because the foundation and project have different goals
5 > > and therefore different constituents.
6 >
7 > In what specific ways do they differ? Why should the goal of the
8 > Foundation be anything other than supporting the distro? This seems
9 > like mission creep at best. IMO separate constituents are about the
10 > worst thing that could happen to Gentoo, as it could lead to a need to
11 > create yet another Foundation that would actually focus on the distro,
12 > and then we get to watch two legal entities fight over which one is
13 > the real one.
16 They differ mainly in scope. The foundation concerns itself mainly in
17 business/legal/financial aspects while the project technical. I think I
18 said that stating that supporting the project is our primary goal is
19 alright as long as it's not our only goal.
20
21 The goals may be similar but I don't think they are the same, this is
22 why I don't think using the same rules for removal makes sense.
25 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)