From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: reopen nominations
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 09:33:34
1 On 2018.04.16 02:40, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > On 18-04-15 19:29:54, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 3:14 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
4 > > <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
5 > > > we haven't had too many candidates
6 > >
7 > > What does that have to do with candidates not being suitable for the
8 > > position they're trying to be elected for?
9 > >
10 > > To sum up, we're forced to vote for candidates we don't want to vote
11 > > for because there's no way we can not vote for them, and not voting
12 > is
13 > > also not an option since if we don't vote twice in a row we lose our
14 > > foundation membership. If it has to be a rigged election I'd rather
15 > > not be forced to approve of it.
18 > The positions in question are for a business office. AFAIK the
19 > posisitions NEED to be filled. The only way I see this working is if
20 > those already in those positions stay until the election completes.
21 >
22 > There is an out if you are not satisfied with the current Trustees.
23 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Bylaws#Section_5.6._Resignation_and_Removal_of_Trustees
24 >
25 > If you want to see change I welcome you to stand up at nomination
26 > time.
27 >
28 > --
29 > Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)
32 See also Section 5.7. Vacancies.
33
34 Suppose we have a _reopen_nominations (even if its legal) that tops the poll.
35 Nobody is elected.
36
37 The retiring trustees resign with immediate effect, leaving two, possibly
38 three trustees to appoint further trustees under Section 5.7 of the bylaws.
39
40 Are they going to approach the volunteers that were beaten by
41 _reopen_nominations, who clearly don't have the support of the membership
42 or approach other members who did not want to volunteer in the first place?
43
44 The concept of _reopen_nominations is silly, even for council. If someone
45 wants to stand for election, they really don't need to wait for an election
46 rerun.
47
48 If you want to take the above thought experiment a bit further, after the
49 first year of trying to elect trustees and failing the remaining trustees
50 retire by rotation. They can be excluded too and we have a
51 completely empty board ... now what?
52
53 In theory, the officers continue to run the foundation ... in practice,
54 the trustees double as officers, so that might not happen.
55
56 It boils down to if you don't like the way the candidates list is shaping up
57 add more candidates during the nomination period.
60 Regards,
61
62 Roy Bamford
63 (Neddyseagoon) a member of