From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Bylaws change: extend inactivity removal to all members
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 19:13:09
1 On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 2:22 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Full members shall have their membership continued while they indicate
4 > that they remain interested in the affairs of the Foundation, unless
5 > their membership is terminated in accordance with 4.8 or 4.9.
8 I do think that the two-election process currently being used is a
9 pretty good way to assess interest. I'd suggest tweaking the above
10 slightly into one of these variations:
11
12 Full members shall have their membership continued while they indicate
13 that they remain interested in the affairs of the Foundation, unless
14 their membership is terminated in accordance with 4.8 or 4.9. The trustees
15 shall establish the process used to determine active interest.
16
17 or
18
19 Full members shall have their membership continued while they indicate
20 that they remain interested in the affairs of the Foundation by not
21 failing to
22 vote in two consecutive elections, unless their membership is terminated in
23 accordance with 4.8 or 4.9.
24
25 I think the first is basically equivalent to your existing proposal,
26 but makes it clear that some kind of process is to be established
27 (which could be the election process, or something else).
28
29 The first just makes it completely explicit. Both additions are a bit
30 awkward in wording I'll admit. This could be corrected by rephrasing
31 the preceding part.
32
33 The two-election process seems to be the subject of a bit of debate so
34 feel free to argue the point. I do think the process makes sense
35 though, and if we add the _reopen_nominations option then that allows
36 protest votes/etc while preserving membership.
39 Rich