From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Trustee nomination: Aaron Bauman (bman)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 22:15:28
1 On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 6:03 PM, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 05:16:33PM -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > > On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 4:59 PM, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > > So my objection in private is the same as my objection in public. In
7 > > > theory
8 > > > > the current board is accountable to the foundation members.
9 > > >
10 > > > In reality, they are not accountable legally.
11 > > >
12 > >
13 > > I don't follow. Why not? The board already has a duty of care to operate
14 > > the nonprofit.
18 > Have you read the current by-laws? Limits of liability specifically?
21 I have.
25 > > >
26 > > > > The board (for years) has not operated the NPO properly. Assuming
27 > that we
28 > > > > successfully shut down the current NPO and make a new NPO and
29 > transfer
30 > > > the
31 > > > > assets from old to new; how will the new NPO operate better than the
32 > old
33 > > > > one?
34 > > > >
35 > > >
36 > > > I can't garauntee anything. It is a risk we take, but as mentioned, I
37 > am
38 > > > willing to help get it started. If it is kept up with it isn't overly
39 > > > complicated.
40 > > >
41 > > > Additionally, the new by-laws would *legally* hold trustees accountable
42 > > > for failure in due diligence. Of course, that will probably slim down
43 > > > the pool of available individuals willing to run for the seats.
44 > > > Conversely, it will stop people just keeping seats warm.
45 > > >
46 > >
47 > > So to summarize:
48 > >
49 > > A bunch of new bylaws will get voted in.
50 > > The board is supposed to follow the bylaws.
51 > > If they fail to follow the bylaws...what happens?
52 > >
53 > > My general assertion is that "the same thing that happens when the board
54 > > fails in their duty now" which is nothing and the NPO is continually
55 > > mismanaged until it falls into disrepair and then is heroically rescued.
56 > >
57 > > But I suspect the answer will be similar "wait and see for b-mans
58 > proposed
59 > > bylaws which will clarify everything" so I'll just wait patiently.
60 > >
61 > > -A
64 > I never said wait and see my proposal. I said what I *am* writing into
65 > the by-laws. Of course, writing them and being thorough is much
66 > different than just explaining intent over a mailing list. So, I hope
67 > you are not awaiting an epiphany or something. I have explained it
68 > already.
71 Whatever you write into the bylaws, someone needs to enforce them.
72 Today its the Foundation members, and they don't enforce anything and seem
73 mostly oblivious to NPO operations.
74 In the new NPO, who is supposed to care about the board's activities?
75
76 Or is your theory that adding additional liability will result proper
77 operation on its own?
78
79 -A
83 > If it were as easy as, "I will vote to let someone else handle it" then
84 > it would have been done... years ago?
85 >
86 > --
87 > Cheers,
88 > Aaron