From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo NPO Business Model thoughts
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 22:01:53
1 On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 10:35 -0800, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 11:05 -0500, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 > <snip>
4 >
5 > While I find your ideas engaging, there's really no point in discussing
6 > them.
7
8 Still holding out that hope can be restored via effort. Just don't want
9 to put forth effort without discussion and authorization.
10
11 > Your grasp on how things work currently is quite skewed and
12 > you're making massive leaps based off those faulty assumptions.
13
14 Well many state time and time again things presently don't work. So not
15 sure why I need to grasp that fully to come up with another way that
16 might work. But I am trying to grasp how things are. There just seems to
17 be abnormal separation and I am unable to find a similar model for
18 comparison.
19
20 > Let me simplify some things:
21 >
22 > The Gentoo Foundation is *independent* of Gentoo Linux. Please, get
23 > this one in your head immediately. The *only* thing the Gentoo
24 > Foundation does is retain the legal filings and standing of the
25 > Foundation itself and act as a container for funds and intellectual
26 > property.
27
28 It's that separation I don't agree with and I think has failed.
29
30 > The Foundation has no say in the direction of Gentoo Linux,
31 > and vice versa. This was by design to keep the Foundation, which is
32 > allowed membership outside of Gentoo Linux, from ever being able to
33 > "take over" the distribution.
34
35 Ok, so let me understand this. The foundation has nothing to do with
36 Gentoo Linux. But is legally responsible for it's actions? With no ties
37 in between the two managing entities?
38
39 > If you think the Foundation will change any of this, you're delusional.
40
41 Not sure what you mean there. I do think a functioning NPO business
42 model for Gentoo would have the potential to bring about change.
43
44 > This all must be changed from within Gentoo Linux, by Gentoo Linux.
45
46 And where and what am I? I am in Gentoo Linux, nothing to do with the
47 foundation per the separations mentioned previous. And trying to bring
48 about change there. Just seem to only find bitterness with the way
49 things are and anything but things to be hopeful for.
50
51 > In
52 > other words, this if fodder for gentoo-council, not gentoo-nfp. The
53 > Gentoo Foundation is, once again, nothing more than a container for
54 > legal and financial responsibilities. The entire idea was to have an
55 > entity that was independent of the distribution so that the developers
56 > had no need to concern themselves with legal matters.
57
58 And again I don't agree with that design. It was enacted way before my
59 time. Those that came up with that structure are obviously over it. Much
60 less who in their right mind would want to voluntarily be legally and
61 financially responsible to a bunch of rogue volunteer devs managed by a
62 completely separate entity. That's craziness.
63
64 > You're proposing "solutions" without identifying the problem(s) you're
65 > wanting to solve.
66
67 What solutions? I have proposed a very abstract theory of a potential
68 model. In which creating such model would identify any problems and
69 solutions for them. It's very typical in taking an existing entity in
70 new directions, or creating one from scratch.
71
72 Your telling me every business plan/model starts with identifying the
73 problems?
74
75 > If this was not your intent, then you'll probably
76 > want to *stop* giving specific examples of how you think things should
77 > be done when you cannot even describe what potential problems with the
78 > current structure you're trying to resolve.
79
80 I threw out some random thoughts for specifics when pressed for them. It
81 wasn't my intention to discuss those at the time. Others brought that up
82 and pressed there. So I came back with some thoughts, rather than
83 nothing. Called out for not citing specifics, then called out again for
84 the specifics. Damned either way, but am still playing the game.
85
86 > This is compounded by your
87 > mixing of "Foundation" and "distribution" as if they are the same thing.
88 > They are not. They have independent problems sets that need to be
89 > investigated and resolved independently.
90
91 I am mixing them because I believe they should be one. The separation
92 clearly doesn't seem to be working. I can't find other similar working
93 models to compare, to identify our problems with that model.
94
95 > Did you ever think that the project isn't "moving forward" because those
96 > that have the time, energy, and ability to do so gave up a long time ago
97
98 Yes, and should we just leave it at that and all go home? Or lay the
99 foundation for new ones to come, and maybe others return? Since my time
100 and observing those that leave. I question most reasons short of lack of
101 time due to personal things or etc.
102
103 > because we've allowed those that do *not* have those things an equal
104 > voice and they're drowning out those that can actually make a
105 > difference?
106
107 Agreed and that's why I wanted to be more silent observing to learn,
108 rather than being vocal. But in the absence of anyone else being vocal.
109 I am stepping up pre-maturely.
110
111 > Ever wonder why *nobody* wants to run for trustees? Ever
112 > wonder why almost none of the previous Council ran for re-election?
113
114 Yes, so why continue one with positions and roles no one wants to fill?
115 That's obviously a sign of the existing model not working. On other
116 front, even with the separation.
117
118 That said some that I voted for on the current council like
119 Petteri/Betelgeuse, had no hesitation to run or etc. For any reason,
120 much less experience of previous council.
121
122 Heck look at Mike/vapier, if he didn't want to run again or be on
123 council. He wouldn't be. Maybe he is not ecstatic about being on the
124 council. He is for the second year in a row, or maybe longer. Maybe some
125 others, those two were just on the top of my mind.
126
127 > Noticed that we're dropping more and more experienced developers every
128 > day for other projects where they have less politics to deal with than
129 > Gentoo?
130
131 And when will that change? Will that change if we do nothing? We are
132 shedding them anyway. What's the harm with at least attempting to take
133 things a new direction and improving things? Or just sit on the ship,
134 watching others bail off and swim. Waiting for the ship to sink so we
135 are forced to swim.
136
137 > Now, you think that by involving developers *more* in what is going on
138 > that it'll make people happy?
139
140 What makes you think developers would be more involved? Maybe the ones
141 that were both developers and employees would be. But those that are
142 just volunteer developers, as they are now, would likely remain
143 unchanged. Just with some leadership, and maybe funding for any
144 resources or etc.
145
146 > Umm... Listen, just because people don't bother to actually use the
147 > mechanisms in place, doesn't mean they're ineffective.
148
149 Um use is usually a good sign of both effectiveness and worth. Why do
150 some excellent TV shows get canceled? Even the most brilliant inventions
151 must be used or popular, or fall aside. Or technologies given up on or
152 given away, the mouse :)
153
154 Or even technologies like when At&t funded a paint program for pen point
155 operating systems. Then withdrew funding due to lack of a perceived
156 future. Before Palm became a company and pen point OS/devices were every
157 where. Much less that app went on to become Flash ;)
158
159 Even if what is in place is the most bitchen the world has ever seen. No
160 one is working it, so how bitchen can it be really? Maybe some retooling
161 and it can live up to it's perceived effectiveness and worth.
162
163 > Are you a Foundation member?
164
165 Was thinking about running in summer of 08, once I had 2 full years
166 under my belt. Also if I am nominated. Guess I could have run this past
167 summer, but wanted to be a bit more experienced. Didn't want to get in
168 the way, or stop others that did have more experience and more to
169 contribute.
170
171 > Thought about holding a vote of your own?
172
173 I would if I had the power or ability to, without stepping on others
174 toes or etc. I am not inquiring for others to enact. I am looking to
175 take action myself. But there is only so much I can do, and have the
176 power to do.
177
178 > After
179 > all, as a Foundation member, you're entitled to question any and every
180 > decision made by the trustees and they can be overridden by a vote.
181
182 So no one else has any influence there?
183
184 > YOU
185 > are the oversight. So yes, every single Foundation member has failed in
186 > their job, not just the trustees. Gentoo is full of self-absorbed
187 > people who enjoy pointing fingers at everybody else to have things done,
188 > but when it comes to stepping up and taking some responsibility
189 > themselves, you suddenly don't hear from them.
190
191 Great, so now what? I am not looking to point fingers, and I really
192 don't care who didn't do what. All I do care about is what needs to be
193 done, and who is doing it now. So I know where best to spend my time and
194 effort to be most efficient and effective as a whole.
195
196 > Given the projects that I am a member of that I see dying/understaffed,
197 > such as PR, Events, GWN, Trustees, QA, x86, amd64, ppc... I wonder how
198 > we function, at all. Oh, right, we added some new VDR app, rather than
199 > fixing those bugs in glibc...
200
201 Well other areas are doing well like Java, and I am trying to spread
202 that to other areas. Not sure if it was my influence there or what. But
203 things are doing Ok, which seems to be considerably better than the rest
204 of Gentoo as a whole.
205
206 > I'm long past the point where I think "Gentoo" needs to be scrapped.
207
208 Ok, so why waste your time? I understand how you feel, but should your
209 feelings and experience stop me and others from trying to improve
210 things? Seems like if you didn't care shouldn't matter either way no?
211
212 Either way, I very much value you input from your experiences. But that
213 does not replace or override my own direct experiences.
214
215 > It is a failed experiment.
216
217 I think the oversight and management structures have failed, but surely
218 not the project as a whole. New people come to Gentoo every day, as
219 users, contributors, developers, etc. The failures are at the top, not
220 the bottom in the trenches. The top has failed, but surely not the whole
221 thing. I am sure the media would love lines like the above. Much less
222 from those in certain positions.
223
224 > Give it to the little ricers who still seem to
225 > care about the name. Gentoo's name hasn't been worth anything for well
226 > over two years. It's not worth keeping a hold of, as all it gives to
227 > most people is negative connotations and years of baggage that we really
228 > don't want or need.
229
230 That's just crazy. Two years ago Java on Gentoo was NOTHING like it is
231 now. Much less there was barely 2-3 people futzing around with it. Much
232 less being serious about maintaining it and pushing it all forward.
233 While I get the changed experienced on the Java subproject/team has not
234 happened else where. Doesn't change what's going on there, or preventing
235 it from spreading to the rest of gentoo.
236
237 I have only been around gentoo as a contributor for 2 years, and a dev
238 for almost 1.5. So what does the above say about my contributions, time,
239 effort etc. I surely could have spent that else where.
240
241 > Umm... You're comparing apples and oranges. The USA has 3 branches of
242 > the same government, designed to balance each other. Gentoo has 2
243 > separate entities responsible for specific aspects of Gentoo with no
244 > oversight and no overlap. They are completely independent.
245
246 And that is a failed concept and model. Which I am still looking for
247 others similar to it. That idea and model should have been contested and
248 I would say seems to stem from those thinking about things ideally. But
249 not having established businesses directly and the practicalities and
250 realities there.
251
252 After all the most important step in most anything is follow through.
253 Which whom ever came up with and enacted the present model. Didn't do or
254 something. But that's moot and in the past. I am looking for what can be
255 done today going forward. Which includes putting scrapping our current
256 structure and model on the table.
257
258 > > And there is no one else to care about the foundation if the devs don't.
259 >
260 > ...exactly... so why are we even bothering?
261
262 Because I am a dev, and I care. I will find others like me and recruit
263 them as well.
264
265 > > Nor is there anyone responsible for the duties the foundation didn't
266 > > perform. Does the council take over when the foundation falls short, or
267 > > visa versa?
268 >
269 > No. The members of the Foundation are responsible... every single one
270 > of them. See, I'm sick of this bullshit attitude of trying to blame the
271 > trustees for everything. We've been trying. The problem is simply that
272 > nobody knows what they want and nobody is willing to do anything but
273 > bitch and complain like a bunch of little girls.
274
275 I am not blaming the trustees. Oversight is not blame. Just means
276 someone is responsible to take over if someone else fall short. More of
277 a fail safe, than blame mechanism.
278
279 I am not looking to bitch or blame. I have a shovel in hand and am ready
280 to dig. I can do allot rather quickly but again don't want to do things
281 I am not authorized for.
282
283 Like I could do a legal filing for Gentoo as a NPO in Florida in
284 minutes. I could take care of other things as well. But I don't want to
285 do anything with discussing it first. Much less am not really the person
286 who should be doing that. Not on the foundation, not a trustee, etc.
287
288 > > But I don't recall much of a push or talk about the foundation elections
289 > > in general. Which normally is done to spark nominations and the rest.
290 >
291 > We did. Nobody paid attention.
292
293 I did, but from my perception. Due the the difficulty, lack of people to
294 hold the election, and etc with the council one. The other fell to the
295 way side. Again election officials burned out, due to bs with the
296 council election.
297
298 > > Like what was done for the council elections. It's allot of work, and I
299 > > think maybe those with the ability to hold and administrate the
300 > > elections. Barely pulled off the council election, and were burned out
301 > > there. No clue where that would put us for next year.
302 > >
303 > > I guess elections are a responsibility of the ? :)
304 >
305 > Foundation members...
306
307 So will we ever be having one? Not sure devs can enact this or not?
308 Should I post to -core about this and see about getting a election for
309 foundation members going.
312 William L. Thomson Jr.
313 Gentoo/Java