From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo NPO Business Model thoughts
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 18:35:44
1 On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 11:05 -0500, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 <snip>
3
4 While I find your ideas engaging, there's really no point in discussing
5 them. Your grasp on how things work currently is quite skewed and
6 you're making massive leaps based off those faulty assumptions.
7
8 Let me simplify some things:
9
10 The Gentoo Foundation is *independent* of Gentoo Linux. Please, get
11 this one in your head immediately. The *only* thing the Gentoo
12 Foundation does is retain the legal filings and standing of the
13 Foundation itself and act as a container for funds and intellectual
14 property. The Foundation has no say in the direction of Gentoo Linux,
15 and vice versa. This was by design to keep the Foundation, which is
16 allowed membership outside of Gentoo Linux, from ever being able to
17 "take over" the distribution.
18
19 > We lack leadership, and I am not talking about council leadership. More
20 > overlord/CEO type leadership. Moving Gentoo as a whole forward on all
21 > fronts.
22 >
23 > Beyond leadership we lack an organized structure and any forms of
24 > responsibility on an enforced basis, beyond not breaking something via a
25 > commit or etc. Also some minor social stuff, but that was reactive no
26 > proactive, and doesn't really pertain to my proposal or the problems at
27 > the top.
28
29 If you think the Foundation will change any of this, you're delusional.
30 This all must be changed from within Gentoo Linux, by Gentoo Linux. In
31 other words, this if fodder for gentoo-council, not gentoo-nfp. The
32 Gentoo Foundation is, once again, nothing more than a container for
33 legal and financial responsibilities. The entire idea was to have an
34 entity that was independent of the distribution so that the developers
35 had no need to concern themselves with legal matters.
36
37 > I guess I am not being clear that in the proposal process, one of the
38 > first things is to identify ALL problems. Then come up with a proposed
39 > plan to address those problems. This is nothing different than starting
40 > any business, or coming up with a new business plan/model for an
41 > existing entity.
42
43 You're proposing "solutions" without identifying the problem(s) you're
44 wanting to solve. If this was not your intent, then you'll probably
45 want to *stop* giving specific examples of how you think things should
46 be done when you cannot even describe what potential problems with the
47 current structure you're trying to resolve. This is compounded by your
48 mixing of "Foundation" and "distribution" as if they are the same thing.
49 They are not. They have independent problems sets that need to be
50 investigated and resolved independently.
51
52 > > So if you want to solve any social problems in the project, go back and
53 > > identify and define them, figure out why they exist and only then start
54 > > thinking about how they can be solved. Until then this discussion is
55 > > pointless as we're arguing from two completely different positions.
56 >
57 > I am not talking about social aspects. More so than the project as a
58 > whole moving forward. If a snake has no head, what's the point in
59 > discussion what the body can or can't do. Or any problems there in?
60
61 Did you ever think that the project isn't "moving forward" because those
62 that have the time, energy, and ability to do so gave up a long time ago
63 because we've allowed those that do *not* have those things an equal
64 voice and they're drowning out those that can actually make a
65 difference? Ever wonder why *nobody* wants to run for trustees? Ever
66 wonder why almost none of the previous Council ran for re-election?
67 Noticed that we're dropping more and more experienced developers every
68 day for other projects where they have less politics to deal with than
69 Gentoo?
70
71 Now, you think that by involving developers *more* in what is going on
72 that it'll make people happy?
73
74 > But I am not sure it's separation from the council and etc makes those
75 > two bodies effective in their own right. Oversight? Leader of both?
76
77 Umm... Listen, just because people don't bother to actually use the
78 mechanisms in place, doesn't mean they're ineffective. Are you a
79 Foundation member? Thought about holding a vote of your own? After
80 all, as a Foundation member, you're entitled to question any and every
81 decision made by the trustees and they can be overridden by a vote. YOU
82 are the oversight. So yes, every single Foundation member has failed in
83 their job, not just the trustees. Gentoo is full of self-absorbed
84 people who enjoy pointing fingers at everybody else to have things done,
85 but when it comes to stepping up and taking some responsibility
86 themselves, you suddenly don't hear from them.
87
88 Given the projects that I am a member of that I see dying/understaffed,
89 such as PR, Events, GWN, Trustees, QA, x86, amd64, ppc... I wonder how
90 we function, at all. Oh, right, we added some new VDR app, rather than
91 fixing those bugs in glibc...
92
93 I'm long past the point where I think "Gentoo" needs to be scrapped. It
94 is a failed experiment. Give it to the little ricers who still seem to
95 care about the name. Gentoo's name hasn't been worth anything for well
96 over two years. It's not worth keeping a hold of, as all it gives to
97 most people is negative connotations and years of baggage that we really
98 don't want or need.
99
100 > Look at the US with our three, and the problems that lie there,
101 > ineffectiveness, lack of oversight etc. Gentoo with only 2 is almost
102 > assured to fail there.
103
104 Umm... You're comparing apples and oranges. The USA has 3 branches of
105 the same government, designed to balance each other. Gentoo has 2
106 separate entities responsible for specific aspects of Gentoo with no
107 oversight and no overlap. They are completely independent.
108
109 > And there is no one else to care about the foundation if the devs don't.
110
111 ...exactly... so why are we even bothering?
112
113 > Nor is there anyone responsible for the duties the foundation didn't
114 > perform. Does the council take over when the foundation falls short, or
115 > visa versa?
116
117 No. The members of the Foundation are responsible... every single one
118 of them. See, I'm sick of this bullshit attitude of trying to blame the
119 trustees for everything. We've been trying. The problem is simply that
120 nobody knows what they want and nobody is willing to do anything but
121 bitch and complain like a bunch of little girls.
122
123 > But I don't recall much of a push or talk about the foundation elections
124 > in general. Which normally is done to spark nominations and the rest.
125
126 We did. Nobody paid attention.
127
128 > Like what was done for the council elections. It's allot of work, and I
129 > think maybe those with the ability to hold and administrate the
130 > elections. Barely pulled off the council election, and were burned out
131 > there. No clue where that would put us for next year.
132 >
133 > I guess elections are a responsibility of the ? :)
134
135 Foundation members...
138 Chris Gianelloni
139 Release Engineering Strategic Lead