From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Trustee nomination: Aaron Bauman (bman)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 18:22:05
1 On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 2:01 PM Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Also, we would need to operate two NFPs when at this election
4 > we only secured enough candidates to staff one ... if they are all
5 > ranked above _reopen_nominations in the poll.
8 ++
9
10 This just sounds like twice as many opportunities to get things wrong,
11 and it splits our resources.
12
13 > To follow on your example, there are several competing 2FA
14 > solutions with differing feature sets. While Nitrokey may be
15 > selected for <reasons> the comparative value assesment still
16 > needs to be performed or the trustees would be neglecting their
17 > duty by rubber stamping council decisions.
18
19 Why would we think that the trustees would do any better a job at this
20 than the Council? Why would the Council want to waste money? There
21 is a limited pool of resources, and if the Council is making decisions
22 like this I'd imagine most developers would vote to select people they
23 trust to make these decisions.
24
25 If we went to an umbrella org then there is a good chance that the
26 Council will end up making these kinds of decisions.
27
28 Besides, why would we want multiple decision-making bodies, where one
29 body can choose to invest in something, and then another body can
30 ensure that all that investment is wasted by denying complementary
31 investment? That could go either way.
32
33 > Such bylaws would make me nervous ... what happens if the new
34 > legal entity has insuffcient funds to pay these people. I suppose it
35 > just goes bankrupt, like any other legal entity.
36
37 Honestly, I don't see any point in codifying random decisions in bylaws.
38
39 Bylaws are supposed to be general principles we operate on. They
40 don't codify individual operating decisions. Those decisions should
41 be documented, but elsewhere.
42
43 Also, we don't need to spin up a new legal entity just to change the
44 bylaws. They can be changed at any time fairly easily actually,
45 assuming the Trustees concur.
46
47 That said, I'm all for paying people to do jobs that need to be done
48 reliably when volunteers aren't cutting it (and historically, they
49 haven't been). This is a big argument in favor of an umbrella,
50 because there is an economy in splitting these costs across many orgs.
51 But, if we were independent I'd rather pay a CPA to do the taxes
52 properly/etc. And then we'd make sure that not a dime gets paid to
53 anybody without the CPA knowing about it...
56 Rich