From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Trustee nominations
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:53:53
1 Richard Freeman wrote: [Fri Jan 25 2008, 09:37:09AM CST]
2 > I agree. Actually - to do otherwise may very well be illegal. I'm not
3 > sure what the penalties are if any. If the bylaws are onerous they can be
4 > changed, again following whatever process is stated in the bylaws, or
5 > otherwise as proscribed by law.
6 >
7 > Is there any reason not to do things by the book? What's the point of
8 > having a legal entity if we're not going to follow the law? Unless of
9 > course the law allows the foundation to just ignore its bylaws...
10
11 You would be correct, of course, if the Foundation had an approved set
12 of bylaws. It doesn't. It has proposed bylaws that I wrote several
13 years ago, based off of the Python Software Foundation bylaws (with
14 the permission of the PSF), which were rejected by the Trustees at the
15 time because the membership and quorum rules conflicted with the
16 existing precedent. Thus, there is no "book" to go by. (Non-profit
17 corporations in NM are not required to have bylaws to incorporate.)
18 In the absence of that book, precedence becomes the guide. For
19 practical purposes, we follow the proposed bylaws anyway, except where
20 there is clear precedence contradicting them.
21
22 -g2boojum-
23 --
24 Grant Goodyear
25 Gentoo Developer
26 g2boojum@g.o
27 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
28 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76