From: Michael Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Questions For Gentoo Foundation Trustee Candidates
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 19:55:11
1 On 14/07/19 20:43, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 3:25 PM Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 10:32:29AM -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
4 >>> I am not sure why we would propose this to the general membership? This is a
5 >>> matter for those elected to consider. Of course, the general membership should
6 >>> be notified of how these things are being handled, what the significance is, and
7 >>> how each course of action was considered.
8 >> Intent matters here. If you have a voluntary filing, what do your
9 >> personal code of ethics say about it? "Always do every optional thing"
10 >> vs "do only what's actually required"
11 > Honestly, if people care about which option is chosen, they should
12 > vote for candidates who already support that option, and if there
13 > aren't enough of those running they should consider running
14 > themselves.
15 >
16 > IMO it makes no sense to elect a bunch of people who are enthusiastic
17 > about option A, and then tell them that they have to run the
18 > organization using option B. That seems like a great way to end up
19 > having everything done to the minimum requirements, if that.
20 >
21 > If the general membership want things done a certain way, they ought
22 > to elect a board that is enthusiastic about doing things in that
23 > manner, that way it actually gets done properly.
24 >
25 It would appear that, for whatever reason, that is either impossible or
26 undesired .. I leave it to the readers to decide which.
27
28 However, it would be rather nice if this wasn't actually the case ...