From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Foundation Trustees nominations
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 16:24:41
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:53:54 +0200 Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera
4 (klondike) wrote:
5 > Hi bircoph!
6 > > I'm afraid in case of the trustee position the desire to fix stuff
7 > > is not sufficient. If I understand correctly, trustee's work
8 > > involves a lot of legal and financial issues. And here we have some
9 > > legal and political limitations.
10 > >
11 > > 1. The US social security number. To my understanding it is
12 > > required to deal with financial and accounting smoothly. I don't
13 > > have one and without it the ways I can help will be very limited.
14 > Well for what I know, Swift doesn't have such a number either, yet you
15 > can see he is registered as one of the directors despite being from
16 > Belgium:
17 > https://portal.sos.state.nm.us/BFS/online/CorporationBusinessSearch/CorporationBusinessInformation?businessId=214657
18
19 I can't even open this URL using Russian IP, they seems to be
20 blocked. This answers pretty much my concerns. I can open it
21 through both Tor and proxies in other countries, of course.
22
23 I don't know what entity is blocking connections, but my research
24 shows that blocking is definitely country-based: different cities,
25 ISP's ip's with the same result. In Russia there is a censorship
26 present, but the register of blocked resources is publicly
27 available for queries and provided URL, domain name and its IP
28 address are not listed there. So at least officially this site is
29 not blocked in Russia.
30
31 I'm not 100% sure that Russian IPs are blocked in US to access some
32 US national resources, but it is possible.
33
34 > > 2. Legal expertise. I have near zero knowledge of US laws. I have
35 > > some knowledge about Russian laws and experience with its
36 > > bureaucracy, but law systems are so different between countries that
37 > > such experience is likely more harmful than useful.
38 > Although the Gentoo Foundation is based on the USA it's activities
39 > (through the different developers) entail most parts of the world, for
40 > example the Gentoo Foundation sponsored the Gentoo project's presence at
41 > FOSDEM through the adquisition of give aways for marketing. Having
42 > people with knowledge of how other law systems work would be helpful in
43 > many ways, on one side by allowing the Foundation help promote
44 > activities in other countries, on the other by being able to direct the
45 > Foundation if issues to Gentoo developers happen on them.
46 >
47 > > 3. World political issues. Since trustees need to work within US
48 > > law space my Russian citizenship may harm affairs and make things
49 > > more complicated for everyone.
50 > If this became a problem I'm very positive the rest of trustees would
51 > agree on moving the foundation somewhere where the citizenship of our
52 > members wouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind that although the Gentoo
53 > Foundation is based on the USA, there is no reason (other than statu quo
54 > and therefore ease of management) to keep it there.
55
56 We are living in the world far from ideal and as Rich pointed out
57 there are good reasons to keep the Foundation in the US. I just
58 don't want to cause troubles where it can be avoided.
59
60 Best regards,
61 Andrew Savchenko