From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Foundation Trustees nominations
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 16:59:23
1 On 17-07-12 19:24:33, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:53:54 +0200 Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera
5 > (klondike) wrote:
6 > > Hi bircoph!
7 > > > I'm afraid in case of the trustee position the desire to fix stuff
8 > > > is not sufficient. If I understand correctly, trustee's work
9 > > > involves a lot of legal and financial issues. And here we have some
10 > > > legal and political limitations.
11 > > >
12 > > > 1. The US social security number. To my understanding it is
13 > > > required to deal with financial and accounting smoothly. I don't
14 > > > have one and without it the ways I can help will be very limited.
15 > > Well for what I know, Swift doesn't have such a number either, yet you
16 > > can see he is registered as one of the directors despite being from
17 > > Belgium:
18 > > https://portal.sos.state.nm.us/BFS/online/CorporationBusinessSearch/CorporationBusinessInformation?businessId=214657
19 >
20 > I can't even open this URL using Russian IP, they seems to be
21 > blocked. This answers pretty much my concerns. I can open it
22 > through both Tor and proxies in other countries, of course.
23 >
24 > I don't know what entity is blocking connections, but my research
25 > shows that blocking is definitely country-based: different cities,
26 > ISP's ip's with the same result. In Russia there is a censorship
27 > present, but the register of blocked resources is publicly
28 > available for queries and provided URL, domain name and its IP
29 > address are not listed there. So at least officially this site is
30 > not blocked in Russia.
31 >
32 > I'm not 100% sure that Russian IPs are blocked in US to access some
33 > US national resources, but it is possible.
36 iirc, others have had problems there too, I think they may be blocking
37 non-US IPs entirely.
38
39 > > > 2. Legal expertise. I have near zero knowledge of US laws. I have
40 > > > some knowledge about Russian laws and experience with its
41 > > > bureaucracy, but law systems are so different between countries that
42 > > > such experience is likely more harmful than useful.
43 > > Although the Gentoo Foundation is based on the USA it's activities
44 > > (through the different developers) entail most parts of the world, for
45 > > example the Gentoo Foundation sponsored the Gentoo project's presence at
46 > > FOSDEM through the adquisition of give aways for marketing. Having
47 > > people with knowledge of how other law systems work would be helpful in
48 > > many ways, on one side by allowing the Foundation help promote
49 > > activities in other countries, on the other by being able to direct the
50 > > Foundation if issues to Gentoo developers happen on them.
51 > >
52 > > > 3. World political issues. Since trustees need to work within US
53 > > > law space my Russian citizenship may harm affairs and make things
54 > > > more complicated for everyone.
55 > > If this became a problem I'm very positive the rest of trustees would
56 > > agree on moving the foundation somewhere where the citizenship of our
57 > > members wouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind that although the Gentoo
58 > > Foundation is based on the USA, there is no reason (other than statu quo
59 > > and therefore ease of management) to keep it there.
60 >
61 > We are living in the world far from ideal and as Rich pointed out
62 > there are good reasons to keep the Foundation in the US. I just
63 > don't want to cause troubles where it can be avoided.
64 >
65 > Best regards,
66 > Andrew Savchenko
70 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)