From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Questions For Gentoo Foundation Trustee Candidates
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 21:00:34
1 On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 08:53:31PM +0100, Michael Everitt wrote:
2 > On 14/07/19 20:25, Robin H. Johnson wrote [as excerpted]:
3 > >
4 > >>> - Apply to convert from for-profit to non-profit 501(c)(6)
5 > >> We have discussed this before, a 501c6 does not match our purpose, does not
6 > >> support charitable donations being tax-exempt for the donator, and we have no
7 > >> intent of lobbying/supporting politics.
8 > >>
9 > >> The 501c6 idea justs needs to go away.
10 > > The charitable donations only really apply for tax residents of the USA.
11 > > Very few countries permit cross-border charitable donations like this
12 > > (Canada for example permits it only if you earn a US income or the
13 > > recipient is certain universities).
14 > >
15 > > For the FY2019 that just closed, as a quick analysis, our paypal gross
16 > > donations is approximately USD 15400.00. Of that, at least USD 9000 came
17 > > from non-US sources.
18 > >
19 > > Lobbying is a broad definition: encouraging usage of Gentoo can be
20 > > construed as Lobbying.
21 > >
22 > > At a broader level in IRS definitions:
23 > > 501(c)(3)
24 > > Operated exclusively for charitable, educational, religious, literary,
25 > > or scientific purposes
26 > > 501(c)(6)
27 > > Operated to promote a common business interest, and to improve business
28 > > conditions in the industry
29 > >
30 > > Is Gentoo Linux a:
31 > > - charitable purpose: no
32 > > - educational purpose: no
33 > > - religious purpose: no
34 > > - literary purpose: no
35 > > - scientific purpose: no
36 > > - common business interest: YES
37 > >
38 > > It's on this basis that the IRS has denied 501(c)(3) existence to other
39 > > organizations who produce "general purpose software". The Open Source
40 > > Institute HAS written about this before in depth:
41 > > https://opensource.org/node/840
42 > >
43 > > Also please strongly note their closing:
44 > > "Any FOSS project considering whether to incorporate or to apply for
45 > > tax-exempt status should seek the advice of an attorney experienced with
46 > > the laws and regulations applicable to exempt organizations."
49 > First and foremost, IANAL, etc.
50 >
51 > I personally hold an Amateur Radio license, and the purpose for which I am
52 > entitled to make radio transmissions is stated explicitly as 'educational
53 > use'. It is to share the knowledge and experience of the technology used,
54 > and not for broadcast purposes, or any other purposes (including emergency
55 > use, although the RAYNET organisation likely has some discretion here).
56 >
57 > I would argue that Gentoo is used for Educational means .. and I'm sure
58 > I've seen it documented such, that it is to encourage it's users to learn
59 > about software and computer systems, and how they may be used. I believe
60 > that Gentoo is in a relatively unique position amongst distributions, as a
61 > meta-distribution on which others are based, not to need to emphasise the
62 > exclusive use of the software within it as it's only application.
63 >
64 > I'm honestly not sure that you could even consider that devs actually
65 > 'lobby' for it's use .. that would tend to imply some organised action, and
66 > I would still argue that what they were actually doing was simply promoting
67 > the features of the distribution and not insisting on its use. That is
68 > certainly my experience from eg. FOSDEM, and I would imagine that is the
69 > case elsewhere too.
70 >
71 > As initially stated, I am certainly not an expert on US or tax laws, but
72 > that would be my reading of the organisation as it stands today.
75 "lobbying" was simply in refernece to political lobbying which is much more
76 permissive under a 501c6.
77
78 Yes, you are correct, we could easily justify educational as a reason to gain
79 tax-exempt status.
80
81 As I stated in reply to another thread, this can be seen, as a precedent, in
82 public filings of other Linux distros, umbrellas, etc.
86 Cheers,
87 Aaron