From: Michael Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Questions For Gentoo Foundation Trustee Candidates
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 19:53:41
1 On 14/07/19 20:25, Robin H. Johnson wrote [as excerpted]:
2 >
3 >>> - Apply to convert from for-profit to non-profit 501(c)(6)
4 >> We have discussed this before, a 501c6 does not match our purpose, does not
5 >> support charitable donations being tax-exempt for the donator, and we have no
6 >> intent of lobbying/supporting politics.
7 >>
8 >> The 501c6 idea justs needs to go away.
9 > The charitable donations only really apply for tax residents of the USA.
10 > Very few countries permit cross-border charitable donations like this
11 > (Canada for example permits it only if you earn a US income or the
12 > recipient is certain universities).
13 >
14 > For the FY2019 that just closed, as a quick analysis, our paypal gross
15 > donations is approximately USD 15400.00. Of that, at least USD 9000 came
16 > from non-US sources.
17 >
18 > Lobbying is a broad definition: encouraging usage of Gentoo can be
19 > construed as Lobbying.
20 >
21 > At a broader level in IRS definitions:
22 > 501(c)(3)
23 > Operated exclusively for charitable, educational, religious, literary,
24 > or scientific purposes
25 > 501(c)(6)
26 > Operated to promote a common business interest, and to improve business
27 > conditions in the industry
28 >
29 > Is Gentoo Linux a:
30 > - charitable purpose: no
31 > - educational purpose: no
32 > - religious purpose: no
33 > - literary purpose: no
34 > - scientific purpose: no
35 > - common business interest: YES
36 >
37 > It's on this basis that the IRS has denied 501(c)(3) existence to other
38 > organizations who produce "general purpose software". The Open Source
39 > Institute HAS written about this before in depth:
40 > https://opensource.org/node/840
41 >
42 > Also please strongly note their closing:
43 > "Any FOSS project considering whether to incorporate or to apply for
44 > tax-exempt status should seek the advice of an attorney experienced with
45 > the laws and regulations applicable to exempt organizations."
48 First and foremost, IANAL, etc.
49
50 I personally hold an Amateur Radio license, and the purpose for which I am
51 entitled to make radio transmissions is stated explicitly as 'educational
52 use'. It is to share the knowledge and experience of the technology used,
53 and not for broadcast purposes, or any other purposes (including emergency
54 use, although the RAYNET organisation likely has some discretion here).
55
56 I would argue that Gentoo is used for Educational means .. and I'm sure
57 I've seen it documented such, that it is to encourage it's users to learn
58 about software and computer systems, and how they may be used. I believe
59 that Gentoo is in a relatively unique position amongst distributions, as a
60 meta-distribution on which others are based, not to need to emphasise the
61 exclusive use of the software within it as it's only application.
62
63 I'm honestly not sure that you could even consider that devs actually
64 'lobby' for it's use .. that would tend to imply some organised action, and
65 I would still argue that what they were actually doing was simply promoting
66 the features of the distribution and not insisting on its use. That is
67 certainly my experience from eg. FOSDEM, and I would imagine that is the
68 case elsewhere too.
69
70 As initially stated, I am certainly not an expert on US or tax laws, but
71 that would be my reading of the organisation as it stands today.