From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: reopen nominations
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 17:10:03
1 On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:50 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Also, I wonder if legal problems wouldn't rather arise from the
4 > absence of _reopen_nominations? IIUC, countify will implicitly add any
5 > missing candidates to the end of a ballot. So there is no way to vote
6 > against a candidate.
9 I was actually wondering the same thing since every proxy statement
10 I've ever gotten allows withholding votes.
11
12 However, reading the NM state regs they seem pretty flexible about
13 voting for directors in general. As far as I can tell we could amend
14 the bylaws to not even require Trustee elections. Maybe if we were
15 publicly traded there would be more stringent regulations, but that
16 will obviously never be an issue for us.
17
18 Perhaps somebody has more specific knowledge but as far as I can tell
19 the elections process we have is legal. I can also see no legal
20 barrier to adding _reopen_nominations, or to Trustees appointing
21 candidates who fell below this threshold (unless we put something to
22 the contrary in the bylaws).
23
24 http://www.sos.state.nm.us/uploads/files/Corporations/ch53Art8.pdf
25 53-8-15