From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: foundation update...
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:11:31
1 On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 11:27 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > that we can earn interest. In my opinion, the first item on the agenda
3 > should be our infrastructure. What's needed, and what can we
4 > legitimately provide? Certainly I would think we should be able to
5 > afford spare drives, but I'm sure that there's more that we need.
6 > Should we just have an annual budget for infra, and let them make the
7 > decisions? That's probably what I would prefer.
8
9 I think an annual budget would be good, but it might add extra overhead
10 to the infra team, since we would need accurate accounting of what
11 exactly they're spending the money on. If they're cool with that extra
12 work, then I'd see no reason for *not* doing it.
13
14 I'd like to suggest that we invest in some developer hardware. We have
15 some very nice developer boxes available for many architectures,
16 provided by both our sponsors and developers. What we do *not* have is
17 a beefy "x86" developer box for people to bang on. This is actually a
18 requirement for being a "supported" architecture, and unless we can get
19 a nice box donated for this cause, I'd say it would be money well spent
20 from the Foundation.
21
22 > The store has been oursourced to cafepress, and is mostly running
23 > itself. It would be good to have a trustee (and a backup) dedicated to
24 > handling store issues; anybody want to volunteer? So far we've been
25 > informally answering e-mails as they come along.
26
27 One quick question on this. Where's 2005.1? The longer the delay from
28 release to store availability, the less likely it is to generate revenue
29 for the Foundation. Does this stuff *need* to come from a trustee, or
30 could someone else send in the release media to Cafepress?
33 Chris Gianelloni
35 Games - Developer
36 Gentoo Linux