From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Questions For Gentoo Foundation Trustee Candidates
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 21:26:02
1 On Sat, 2019-07-13 at 22:15 +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
2 > On 2019.07.13 21:56, Alec Warner wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 1:15 PM Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
4 > > wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > On 2019.07.13 13:12, Roy Bamford wrote:
7 > > > > Team,
8 > > > >
9 > > > > This is a meta topic to collect Questions For Gentoo Foundation
10 > > > > Trustee Candidates together.
11 > > > > The idea seemed to work well on -project for council candidates.
12 > > > >
14 > > topics
15 > > > > will help keep responses and resulting discussion organised.
16 > > > > Accordingly, I will respond to this post with my question.
17 > > > >
18 > > > > --
19 > > > > Regards,
20 > > > >
21 > > > > Roy Bamford
22 > > > > (Neddyseagoon) a member of
23 > > > > elections
24 > > > > gentoo-ops
25 > > > > forum-mods
26 > > > > arm64
27 > > >
28 > > > Team,
29 > > >
30 > > > In the event that the newly elected Foundation board determine that
31 > > the
32 > > > Gentoo Foundation should be dissolved in favour of joining an
33 > > umbrella
34 > > > how do the trustee candidates see Gentoos assets being managed?
35 > > >
36 > > > We will still have to manage our own assets, defend our trademarks
37 > > > and so on. The Foundation will be gone and with it the group charged
38 > > > with doing this sort of thing.
39 > > >
40 > >
41 > > I don't understand your question. "Gentoo" as a legal organization
42 > > would
43 > > not exist. The assets would be owned by the umbrella. Donations would
44 > > go to
45 > > the umbrella. The Community would submit requests to spend money to
46 > > the
47 > > umbrella (the same way they submit funding requests to the existing
48 > > Gentoo
49 > > Foundation.)
50 > >
51 > > Is that clearer?
52 >
53 > Maybe an example will help?
54 > What group or individual within Gentoo will determine if directing
55 > the umbrella to buy a Power9 system for the distro is a good idea
56 > or not.
57
58 The Council, obviously. As it should be doing it today, except by some
59 weird mistake Foundation decides to skip it entirely and authorize
60 technical decisions on its own.
63 Best regards,
64 Michał Górny