From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Social contract and its effect on vendors and service delivery.
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 20:32:38
1 On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 4:17 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Is it against the social contract to purchase these CDN services?
4 > Is it against the social contract to purchase these CDN services, even if the services are provided via open source software?
7 IMO the obvious answer to the second question is that purchasing
8 services that are provided using FOSS is absolutely permitted by the
9 social contract. Obviously we should be careful with money, but we're
10 allowed to spend money on services and in fact have done so in other
11 cases (like paying for a bug bounty, for accounting services, etc -
12 generally all using FOSS where it exists).
13
14 The first question is more of a grey area. IMO something like a
15 mirror/CDN network is really not something we're "depending" on in the
16 spirit of the social contract. They're just providing extremely
17 commoditized services based on completely open protocols, so if the
18 whole thing were to go away overnight the main thing we'd see is a
19 lower level of service, and replicating the network with another
20 provider would be trivial. For our distfiles/rsync mirrors we don't
21 audit to make sure every one of those providers is using 100% FOSS,
22 and I doubt most of their servers are running coreboot. Those mirrors
23 are just http/etc and nobody is going to notice if one is running IIS
24 for some reason.
25
26 Now, if we were going to host bugzilla or email or some other core
27 infra on non-FOSS software I think it would be a much larger concern.
28 I think the key is that the authoritative source is FOSS, and we're
29 just using vendors to mirror data using a black box mechanism and open
30 protocols.
31
32 But, I'll be the first to ack that this second bit is a grey area, and
33 I'm sure there will be others that disagree. I think it is ok if a
34 social contract has a bit of grey around the edges, and ultimately the
35 community can decide how they feel about it.
36
37 I realize that you didn't want to get into the fiscal argument, but
38 I'd toss in my two cents here: it seems like we have a lot of orgs
39 that donate servers/etc and I know we're always getting requests on
40 pr@ for "sponsors" (usually cash for SEO, but maybe some could offer
41 actual hosting). I actually like depending on donations in kind a lot
42 more than money because it tends to keep the org rooted in what serves
43 the broader FOSS/etc community vs being an org that handles a lot of
44 cash which can sometimes lose perspective.
47 Rich