From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Social contract and its effect on vendors and service delivery.
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 07:28:40
1 On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 01:51:06PM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 1:38 PM Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 >
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > > Is it against the social contract to purchase these CDN services?
8 > >
9 > > Not from my P.O.V when the origin itself is under full control.
10 > >
11 > > Also, would you plan to block direct access once you set up a CDN service,
12 > > i.e. forcing everyone to use CDN services or would you still allow people
13 > > to hit services directly? For the latter it's just an additional offer so I
14 > > wouldn't expect any problems (isn't it the same like being present on
15 > > GitHub?).
18 > I don't believe we have any rationale for restricting traffic in the way
19 > you describe, so no we would not force traffic to transit the CDN to the
20 > origin.
21 The wording here will matter I feel.
22
23 The _default_ hostname for the service might involve the CDN, but
24 alternate hostnames exist to bypass the CDN.
25
26 The non-CDN version of these can already be accessed at:
27 (service)-cdn-origin.gentoo.org
28
29 The CDN version of these can be explicitly selected at:
30 (service)-cdn.gentoo.org
31
32 Infra reserves the right to change the above pattern, but that's what it
33 is today (and is visible in the SSL certs).
34
35 For transparency, the following read-only services are already using CDN
36 today, via sponsors: CDN77 & AWS [1 site]:
37 ------------------------------------------
38 api.gentoo.org
39 assets.gentoo.org
40 devmanual.gentoo.org
41 infra-status.gentoo.org
42 planet.gentoo.org
43 archives.gentoo.org (disabled, use archives-cdn.gentoo.org)
44 packages.gentoo.org (disabled, use packages-cdn.gentoo.org) [AWS]
45
46 Other read-only services likely to move to CDN in future:
47 ---------------------------------------------------------
48 archives.gentoo.org [already testing]
49 cgit.gentoo.org
50 distfiles.gentoo.org
51 glsa.gentoo.org
52 mirrorstats.gentoo.org
53 packages.gentoo.org [already testing]
54 projects.gentoo.org
55 qa-reports.gentoo.org
56 repos.gentoo.org
57 security.gentoo.org
58 www.gentoo.org
59 anongit.gentoo.org ** (requires some special sauce)
60
61 Read-write services that we'd like to improve to a localized
62 reverse-proxy to improve service (via lower latency):
63 -----------------------------------------------------
64 wiki.gentoo.org
65 bugs.gentoo.org
66 sso.gentoo.org
67 glsamaker.gentoo.org
68 keys.gentoo.org
69
70 Services unlikely to move:
72 *test.gentoo.org (test versions of many sites above, would default to non-CDN)
73 dev.gentoo.org (would have to detangle HTTPS from SSH hostnames)
74 forums.gentoo.org (depends heavily on the migration efforts that are already very behind)
75 infrawiki.gentoo.org (not enough demand, low priority)
78 Robin Hugh Johnson
79 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
80 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
81 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
82 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136