From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Bylaws change: removing retired developers by default
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 05:47:38
1 W dniu pon, 04.06.2018 o godzinie 01∶47 +0000, użytkownik Jorge Manuel
2 B. S. Vicetto napisał:
3 > On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 6:35 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Hello,
6 > >
7 > > As my second Bylaws change proposal, I would like to integrate
8 > > Foundation membership closer with our retirement procedures. I would
9 > > like the retired developers to be removed from Foundation by default,
10 > > unless they explicitly ask to stay. That way, we won't have to 'clean
11 > > up' inactive developers twice.
14 > <snip>
15 >
16 > I strongly disagree with this proposal.
17
18 I think you're making far reaching conclusions without any real
19 arguments backing them.
20
21 > Not only do I feel we shouldn't remove people from the Foundation just
22 > because they retire, as I also feel the Foundation would benefit from
23 > having past developers more involved.
24
25 Keeping inactive members on the member list does not imply they get
26 involved. It only means that Foundation member count is inflated,
27 and as we've already seen that affects the constant problem of reaching
28 quorum and low participation in elections. Artificially prolonging
29 membership of inactive people is simply unfair to people who actually
30 want to participate, if not hostile to the goals of the Foundation
31 (after all, having a lot of inactive members is an easy way to paralyze
32 the active members).
33
34 > About the arguments regarding quorum or ability to contact past developers
35 > by email for elections, I recall that elections are announced on public ml
36 > and thus a past developer without a forwarding email could still be aware
37 > of an election and act on that. If they don't act or care any more about
38 > the Foundation, we already have the rule that it takes 2 elections without
39 > participation to ensure they'll get retired.
40
41 Please tell me, honestly. How likely is it that:
42
43 a. a developer who explicitly requests retirement and is asked whether
44 he would like to stay in the Foundation would not answer that
45 and at the same time want to stay in the Foundation?
46
47 b. a developer who is retired after >6 months of complete inactivity (of
48 even answering the bug or three mails sent by Undertakers) and being
49 explicitly aware that his Foundation membership would be revoked
50 as a result, would not decide to inform the Foundation of his will to
51 stay but at the same time continue participating in Foundation affairs?
52
53 Foundation membership is voluntary, and explicit. I don't really
54 understand why some people want to keep members in by force when they
55 clearly don't participate, or keep the member list inflated for a year
56 or two just in case.
59 Best regards,
60 Michał Górny