From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Bylaws change: removing retired developers by default
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 14:53:04
1 On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 5:47 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > W dniu pon, 04.06.2018 o godzinie 01∶47 +0000, użytkownik Jorge Manuel
4 > B. S. Vicetto napisał:
5 > > On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 6:35 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > > Hello,
8 > > >
9 > > > As my second Bylaws change proposal, I would like to integrate
10 > > > Foundation membership closer with our retirement procedures. I would
11 > > > like the retired developers to be removed from Foundation by default,
12 > > > unless they explicitly ask to stay. That way, we won't have to 'clean
13 > > > up' inactive developers twice.
14 > > >
15 > >
16 > > <snip>
17 > >
18 > > I strongly disagree with this proposal.
19 >
20 > I think you're making far reaching conclusions without any real
21 > arguments backing them.
24 Michał,
25
26 we disagree on this proposal, that's ok. I'm expressing an opinion, just as
27 you expressed yours. There's no need to question others opinion.
31 > > Not only do I feel we shouldn't remove people from the Foundation just
32 > > because they retire, as I also feel the Foundation would benefit from
33 > > having past developers more involved.
34 >
35 > Keeping inactive members on the member list does not imply they get
36 > involved. It only means that Foundation member count is inflated,
37 > and as we've already seen that affects the constant problem of reaching
38 > quorum and low participation in elections. Artificially prolonging
39 > membership of inactive people is simply unfair to people who actually
40 > want to participate, if not hostile to the goals of the Foundation
41 > (after all, having a lot of inactive members is an easy way to paralyze
42 > the active members).
45 The same way that someone being a member of the Foundation doesn't imply he
46 or she is active. You feel it's "unfair", I argue it's "unfair" to
47 forcefully retire someone from the Foundation just because that person
48 retired from Gentoo.
49 As I stated before, we already have rules to "retire" inactive members, so
50 I think there's no need to create special rules for developers that retire.
51 Another motive for my opposition, is beyond your concrete proposal, the
52 talk / discussion about requiring members to be Gentoo Developers (which
53 your proposal would help to ensure).
56 > > About the arguments regarding quorum or ability to contact past
57 > developers
58 > > by email for elections, I recall that elections are announced on public
59 > ml
60 > > and thus a past developer without a forwarding email could still be aware
61 > > of an election and act on that. If they don't act or care any more about
62 > > the Foundation, we already have the rule that it takes 2 elections
63 > without
64 > > participation to ensure they'll get retired.
65 >
66 > Please tell me, honestly. How likely is it that:
67 >
68 > a. a developer who explicitly requests retirement and is asked whether
69 > he would like to stay in the Foundation would not answer that
70 > and at the same time want to stay in the Foundation?
71 >
72 > b. a developer who is retired after >6 months of complete inactivity (of
73 > even answering the bug or three mails sent by Undertakers) and being
74 > explicitly aware that his Foundation membership would be revoked
75 > as a result, would not decide to inform the Foundation of his will to
76 > stay but at the same time continue participating in Foundation affairs?
77 >
78 > Foundation membership is voluntary, and explicit. I don't really
79 > understand why some people want to keep members in by force when they
80 > clearly don't participate, or keep the member list inflated for a year
81 > or two just in case.
84 To me it isn't a question of likelihood, but of possibility and what type
85 of Foundation we want to have.
86 I don't object to the Undertakers asking a retiring developer is he wishes
87 to retire from the Foundation. But if the developer doesn't answer or if he
88 doesn't reply to the retirement, let the retirement of the Foundation
89 follow existing rules.
90 I would personally like to see former developers more involved in the
91 Foundation. Those that still care about Gentoo could provide insightful
92 feedback about community issues.
96 > --
97 > Best regards,
98 > Michał Górny