From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Eligible ex-devs
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 03:27:52
1 Hi All,
2
3 > Seems we need some clarification of which ex-devs are eligible to
4 > vote in this trustee election.
5 >
6 > I thought it was anyone who has been a dev for a year or more up
7 > until today.
8 >
9 > Danny (kugelfang) disagrees, but I'm not sure I can explain what he
10 > said, so I'll let him.
11
12 * Only Foundation members may vote
13
14 * You become a Foundation member only by
15 - Being a Gentoo Developer for _at least_ a year before the election
16 period starts.
17 _and_
18 - Participating in the voting process.
19
20 This is defined here[1], quoting:
21 "Each Gentoo Developer that has been an active developer for at least
22 one year at the moment the voting period starts is able to rank all
23 candidates in the preferred order of election. Multiple entries for the
24 same position are allowed."
25
26 Some samples:
27
28 a) Both ferringb and ciaranm are eligible to vote: They both
29 participated in the last (foundation) election (IMHO) and their
30 status as foundation members never ceased. Membership termination
31 can only be voluntarily or by 2/3 majority during the annual meeting
32 or any special meeting as specified by the Bylaws.
33
34 b) Tsunam is not eligible to vote, as he joined gentoo only 0.85 years
35 ago. (Just a sample as we discussed it on IRC)
36
37 c) Joe Developer was active until 2 weeks ago. He did _not_ vote in the
38 last (foundation) election. Thus, he never became a foundation member
39 and can't become one in this election. He's not eligible to vote.
40
41 Besides: The current election, as it is our implementation of
42 the "Annual Meeting" as specified by the Bylaws, will beinvalid, as all
43 Foundation members must have notice[2] "... not less than ten(10) days
44 [...] before the date of the meeting. ...". As we're still collecting
45 all eligible voters we can be sure that not all foundation members have
46 received such notice.
47
48 In short: We need a secretary to do this properly. We need to keep track
49 who voted when, and we need to send out notice in time. As this is an
50 annual duty only, I'd like to suggest to hire a lawyer who does all
51 this, in the foundation's name, once a year. As all notice can go out
52 electronically, there is not so much financial overhead here.
53
54 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/foundation/en/
55 "Election Process"
56 [2] http://www.gentoo.org/foundation/en/bylaws.xml
57 "Section 3.4. Notice2
58
59 my ยค0.02,
60 Danny
61 --
62 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
63 Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
66 gentoo-nfp@g.o mailing list