From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: shipping material to the UK
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:37:11
1 On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 10:27 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 21 September 2005 18:13, Corey Shields wrote:
3 >
4 > > The question then is where does the PR budget land? I would like to
5 > > see the Foundation handle most of the PR and promotion of Gentoo, since
6 > > it just seems easier to keep it close to the source. Again, this is
7 > > just a personal idea/opinion.
8 >
9 > I think a PR (and infra) budget would be a good idea. Even for
10 > expenditures that need to be requested. I feel that for this budget a
11 > year plan should be made with the PR activities and their expected costs.
12 > This would ensure that there is budget left at the end of the year.
13
14 We would absolutely want to make sure that we have money left-over.
15 It's never a good idea to spend everything you bring in as quickly as
16 you bring it in.
17
18 > On the topic of PR I also feel that the mean purpose private persons
19 > donate money for is to further the development of gentoo. PR does not
20 > directly relate to that goal. If we look at other sources of donations
21 > such as genesi and other companies, they would probably be interested in
22 > PR. I feel the budget should reflect this, and not all money left after
23 > legal fees and infra should go to PR, but some way should be found to use
24 > it to help development of the distribution. And of course some part
25 > should go to reserves.
26
27 I do agree that private persons primarily donate to further development.
28 I also agree that corporate entities are probably more interested in PR.
29 Perhaps we could keep the amounts separated in some way? Try to use
30 private funds primarily for development-related costs, such as developer
31 boxes and Foundation expenses while trying to use the corporate funds
32 primarily for PR. This doesn't mean that money couldn't be shared, but
33 that money would go into the budget where it is most likely to appease
34 the person/company donating.
35
36 I feel that PR is vastly important, as it raises awareness of Gentoo
37 which serves us in many ways. It can increase our user base, which in
38 turn increases our developer base. It can increase our ties with other
39 companies, and can potentially bring in more donations. I don't think
40 we need to get into the business of "marketing" ourselves so much as
41 having professional looking presences when we make showings at trade
42 shows. I think the fliers that we had at LWE-SF were great. They
43 looked good and weren't just something printed up on a piece of paper,
44 but rather nice looking color fliers. We really *need* to have some
45 release media at these shows, even if we are only able to have a limited
46 amount and are only able to give them to select people (partners, media,
47 etc). For example, AMD asked me for one of our 2005.1 CDs when I was at
48 LWE-SF, and I had to tell them that I didn't have anything to give them.
49 If we want to foster some of these relationships, then we need to have
50 materials available for them.
53 Chris Gianelloni
54 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
55 Games - Developer