From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: solar@g.o
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-core] Nominations?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:50:38
1 Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > What are some of the things you would do to try and
3 > accomplish this goal?
4
5 In order to raise money, we need a budget - a target to focus folks on. The
6 budget depends on where we hold the event, when, and what we do at the
7 event. We need to tackle that, and build a ballpark figure. It also
8 depends on how many are attending, and whether or not everyone needs
9 financial assistance to attend. There's a lot to do there - including
10 convincing Gentoo devs to attend (not taking that for granted!) - we'll need
11 to build a team to handle the work between us, make sure it's transparent,
12 and that we're planning an event that Gentoo devs will want to be part of.
13 There are going to be folks in the wider Gentoo community who can help make
14 this happen - we'll be looking to engage them, and get them involved too.
15 We're going to need folks on the ground in different countries, because part
16 of the fundraising will probably require meeting donors face to face.
17
18 Another important point, before we can set a budget, is scope. Should this
19 be a dev-only event, or should it also include something for Gentoo users
20 too? That would change the whole dynamic; the size & content would change,
21 the overall budget would change, and we could use attendee charges to help
22 assist Gentoo devs attending.
23
24 When it comes to assisting devs ... what are the rules to qualify for
25 assistance? Are they means-tested? Do they depend on what you do for
26 Gentoo, or how long you have been a dev? Should we run an 'adopt a dev'
27 sponsorship campaign, where we ask users to donate to assist a named dev?
28 Is there another assistance scheme we could use instead?
29
30 I am making a fundamental assumption here that we should be assisting devs,
31 so that they can attend. That needs looking at. Maybe we don't actually
32 need to do so. Maybe we shouldn't be doing so. I think we should, but
33 there hasn't been any sort of debate about this.
34
35 Once we have our estimated budget, we need to raise the money. Here, there
36 are issues to sort out. I'm unclear about the financial (and, tbh, legal)
37 situation of the Foundation, and I doubt I'm the only one. Even before we
38 start figuring out how to raise the money, we need to ensure that the
39 Foundation has the capability of handling the money, and the financial
40 controls in place to ensure that the money does not get mis-appropriated.
41
42 Actually raising the money ... we need to identify different sources of
43 money, and pursue the right strategy for each source. Some sources include:
44
45 - our users,
46 - companies that make money from Gentoo,
47 - companies that use Gentoo,
48 - the wider Linux community, who like our docs and our forums and
49 our willingness to help folks from other distros
50 - the media, and other folks who have things they could sell to
51 folks @ the conference
52 - foundations and trusts that exist to donate money to appropriate
53 causes
54 - local and national governments and their agencies
55 - folks who don't use Linux at all
56
57 I'm sure that there are more that we can find.
58
59 We could just do what the local hospital does ... we put a big
60 target-o-meter in a prominent place, and appeal to people's conscience to
61 help it move up from zero to what we need. Has the advantage of being a
62 clear and easy-to-digest concept to sell.
63
64 Companies are traditionally tackled through the "sponsorship" approach. We
65 could just hope that companies sponsor our conference out of the goodness of
66 their hearts - it's worked for the UK conferences to date :) - but a more
67 successful approach would be to create a valuable package for a sponsor to
68 buy into. When I say "package", I'm not talking software. I'm essentially
69 talking marketing - taking their currency in exchange for giving them value
70 in return. It'll take us numerous iterations to get this one right, but
71 longer-term it'll be a more successful approach than simply handing round
72 the begging bowl.
73
74 The Foundation's legal status could have a bearing on the fundraising.
75 We'll need advice on exactly where we can accept money from, and in what
76 amounts. I know Freenode are affected by this; at this moment in time, I
77 don't know whether we are also affected by this or not. It's worth asking
78 the question of whether we should organise this directly through the
79 Foundation, or whether a separate legal entity would be more appropriate.
80
81 Speaking of which ... simply getting folks worldwide to donate to the
82 US-based Foundation misses out on some sources of funding. The UK (for one)
83 runs a scheme called Gift Aid, where tax can be reclaimed on money donated
84 to UK charities. Although it would create an administration overhead,
85 establishing a world-wide network of local Gentoo Foundations would
86 longer-term increase our ability to raise money. Such a network would also
87 allow us to cast a wider net, and apply for funding from sources within each
88 country, and would also make it easier for local businesses to donate to
89 their national Gentoo charity / not for profit.
90
91 Let me sell that idea another way. Imagine going to www.gentoo.org/donate/,
92 and being presented with a form for you to donate money. The first page,
93 there would be a dropdown box, allowing you to indicate which country you
94 reside in. When you select your country, we would take you to a second
95 page, which would be a localised donation form for your country, which would
96 take advantage of whatever tax breaks your country offered. We make sure
97 that the money goes into your country's Gentoo bank account, where the local
98 trustees become responsible for it.
99
100 Establishing this local charity network is a massive undertaking, and it's
101 unlikely to be in place in time for the 2007 conference. But it's worth
102 doing in the longer term, not only because we can raise more money than by
103 having a distant Foundation in the U.S., but also because a local charity
104 can also do local educational things with Gentoo - and that will keep
105 bringing in new blood to our ranks. It's not just about the money - it's
106 about building a global organisation to take Gentoo from the Internet and
107 into local communities. And without having to try and establish a
108 commercial arm, to compete with the other distros. We remain a community
109 distro, and we get to widen our community far beyond the propeller head ranks.
110
111 To increase the chance of success, we need Gentoo's PR machine fixing (work
112 has started on that today, interested volunteers should knock on frilling's
113 door), and that will probably have a knock-on effect on www.g.o's homepage.
114 We need to make Gentoo more accessible to the folks in the media, and we
115 need to improve the understanding that we are truly a community distro, and
116 all that being a community distro means. We need a PR machine that can
117 create the right associations in people's minds, so that they feel more
118 inclined to part with their money. We need a PR machine to "sell" Gentoo as
119 a concept, and as a movement.
120
121 One thing I haven't done yet is get in touch with the organisers of other
122 events. There are plenty of people who have been successfully running
123 international conferences for years; their experience and advice will help
124 us a lot too.
125
126 Why do I think I'm the right person to make this happen? (You haven't
127 asked, but it seems appropriate to include here). First, I'm proposing to
128 act when no-one else is. My apologies if I've missed it, but I'm not aware
129 of any existing trustee, or any candidate for this year's election, who is
130 proposing that we do this. From other open-source projects that I'm
131 involved with, I've seen first-hand that there is no substitute for folks
132 having met and spent time with each other to resolve communication problems.
133
134 I've never run a legally-formed charity, but I have repeated experience of
135 setting up and running volunteer organisations, and departments and teams
136 within commercial organisations spanning back 14 years. I have run my own
137 business. My roots are in free software. I've been maintaining GPL'd
138 software since 1994; first of which was to create dialog-0.4 specifically
139 for Slackware 2.0.1. (No, this does not mean that I'll be accepting bugs
140 against dialog ;-) dialog is the tool that manages the text-based UI for
141 nearly all Linux text-based installers; lxdialog included in the kernel is
142 derived from it.
143
144 I setup the successful Gentoo UK conference, which has now been running for
145 three years. I'd like to now take things to the next level, and create a
146 world-wide conference for all our devs.
147
148 I really believe that we can create an international conference - *if* we
149 want it enough - and make it a recurring event.
150
151 Best regards,
152 Stu
153 --
154 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
155 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
156 http://blog.stuartherbert.com/
157
158 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
159 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C