From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Bylaws change: allowing Council members to serve as Trustees
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2018 12:26:02
1 On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 7:31 AM Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Its not finding Trustees that's the real issue its finding Foundation officers.
6 That assumes you're happy as long as any warm body takes the position.
7
8 > Adding three individuals to the list of potential candidates for trustees
9 > will do nothing to help the foundation if those candidates will not/cannot
10 > be officers.
11
12 If they better represent the will of the members then they would help
13 the foundation even if they won't be officers.
14
15 Whether that is the case or not is up to the members to decide, of
16 course. Why deny them the opportunity to vote for (or against)
17 council members?
18
19 If you look at the expressed frustrations over the past year, they
20 generally don't pertain to the activities of the officers, but of the
21 Trustees.
22
23 I don't disagree that lack of interest in Officer positions is also
24 harmful to the Foundation, but what is the point in even having a
25 Foundation in good standing if it doesn't do the things its members
26 want it to do?
27
28 Note - the above might come across a bit strong, and I apologize in
29 advance for that. Ultimately nobody can really pretend to claim that
30 the Trustees do/don't represent the will of the members short of
31 having a vote, and of course the Trustees we have were elected. I
32 just think that when we have an election we should give the members as
33 much choice as possible in who they are able to elect, and let them
34 make the judgment as to who does/doesn't have time to do the job/etc.
37 Rich