From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Nomination of Alec Warner (antarus) for the Trustee Election
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 16:27:18
1 On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 11:52 AM, Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On 18-07-12 09:55:32, Alec Warner wrote:
5 > > Yes.
6 > >
7 > > I've attached my platform[0] on what I plan to do if elected and how I
8 > plan
9 > > to vote.
10 > >
11 > > -A
12 > >
13 > > [0] https://dev.gentoo.org/~antarus/AntarusBoardPlatform.pdf
14 > >
15 > > On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 5:40 PM, Matthew Thode <
16 > prometheanfire@g.o>
17 > > wrote:
18 > >
19 > > > Do you accept?
20 > > >
21 > > > --
22 > > > Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)
23 > > >
26 To be fair, I'm not intending to blame current or past boards for anything
27 here. Also to be transparent, I was a trustee in the past (so I would in
28 effect be blaming myself.) That is not the intent of my platform.
29
30 The intent is to say:
31
32 "The foundation has had some goals"
33 "Those goals were not met in a reasonable timeline"
34 "Even when the timeline was not met, reasonable communication regarding
35 progress was also not communicated"
36
37 I don't believe any of the above things will change anytime soon because no
38 one is interested or has the time to fix them.
39 Even if we did fix them, I remain unconvinced we could sustain proper
40 operation of the foundation into the future.
44 > I'm just going to point out the things I disagree with (and think are
45 > wrong).
48 > The board has been unable to secure financial or legal representation.
49 > This is not true, Robbin was talking to a CPA, that CPA recently moved
50 > however. Our lawyer hasn't changed in a long time either.
53 The CPA did not 'recently' move; its been at least six months (if not
54 longer.)
55 I'd love to know who the Foundation's lawyer is.
59 > The board has been unable to find insurance (for Directors and Officers)
60 > We received a quote for D&O insurance but it was too expensive (1k a
61 > month iirc).
64 So either fund raise so you can afford it, or find a cheaper quote?
67 > The board has been unable to raise monies to effectively pay for correct
68 > operation of the nonprofit.
69 > I'm not sure what you mean, but we receive a bit more money than we
70 > spend every year...
73 It means:
74
75 Paying someone to keep the books.
76 Paying a lawyer on retainer.
77 Filing Taxes.
78 Having D&O insurance.
79
80 When you don't any expenses its fairly easy to take in more money than you
81 spend ;p
85 > The other points have some validity to them though. Currently our tax
86 > burden is unknown (because of the CPA moving unfortunately). We do have
87 > trouble retaining Trustees (with how much we are badmouthed by council I
88 > wonder why...).
91 > As to your plan, I'd ask the community to vote on it before going
92 > forward as this is a dissolution of the group they are a part of. I
93 > wouldn't block it though.
96 I believe NM state nonprofit law requires a member vote on dissolution
97 unless there are no members remaining.
98
99 For the record I do not plan on terminating membership to cause the
100 memberless case to happen.
101
102 -A
106 > --