From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] drobbins, leadership, etc.
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:14:50
1 On 1/16/08, Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 16 January 2008 06:43:06 pm Alec Warner wrote:
3 > > There was talk of a vote on -core. I think the current decision is
4 > > that we need to investigate the alternatives before we can vote on
5 > > them; hence we are getting our paperwork in order to get advice from
6 > > our legal team.
7 >
8 > shouldn't users get to vote too? after developers shouldn't be developing for
9 > users not just themselves. the users also have a stake in this decision.
10
11 Hi Caleb,
12
13 I said there was talk of a vote, I didn't say we were going to vote.
14
15 At this point no one really knows who has control of the foundation's
16 assets legally (or if they do they have not made it clear to anyone).
17 We are still getting the paperwork together regarding our past
18 activities (Grant has been working hard on this for us with assistance
19 from Renat).
20
21 It would be unfortunate to have a vote only to have it have no legal
22 merit and have the Foundation go the other way (in laymans terms,
23 ignore the vote and do whatever).
24
25 With regards to users voting, I know robbat2 is working on a bunch of
26 surveys; I don't have a timeline for those yet. If we do vote I doubt
27 users would get one as there is no way to do things like identity
28 verification or detect vote tampering (which a dev-only vote can
29 accomplish).
30
31 The surveys give us aggregate data over time which I think (if we can
32 manage to get them out and convince people to take them) will help us
33 figure out what users want on a larger scale.
34
35 -Alec
38 > --
39 > Caleb Cushing
40 >
41 > PGP keys available on key server
42 > wwwkeys.us.pgp.net
43 >
44 > Due to low Internet availability I may not check
45 > my email more than once a week, and thus cannot
46 > guarantee a response time.
50 gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list