From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Bylaws change: allowing Council members to serve as Trustees
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2018 19:34:05
1 On 18-06-02 09:54:11, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello, everyone.
3 >
4 > This one has came up a few times recently, and I think it would be
5 > reasonable to finally put it as formal motion. I'd like to propose
6 > removing from Bylaws section 5.2 (Qualification) [1] the following
7 > paragraph:
8 >
9 > No individual shall serve as a Gentoo Foundation Trustee and Gentoo
10 > Council Member concurrently
11 >
12 > Rationale:
13 >
14 > This topic has been brought up a few times and so far the best argument
15 > has been that a single individual could not bear both positions time-
16 > wise. However, I don't think this really justifies forbidding it
17 > by law, and I think the candidates should be given the chance to assert
18 > that themselves. If someone doesn't believe in a single individual
19 > serving both positions simultaneously, he can express that in his vote.
20 >
21 > Furthermore, Matthew Thode has proposed merging Council and Trustees
22 > in the past. I think having common members in both bodies could be
23 > the first step towards that or -- to the contrary -- prove that this is
24 > undesirable without actually having to merge them to check.
25 >
26 > Finally, since Trustee elections have really lacked candidates
27 > in the past years, this might improve the situation. I can't guarantee
28 > that; I don't think I would run but others might. In any case, it's
29 > worth a try and I don't think it would really harm anyone.
30 >
31 > It's better to give voters a chance to decide on this rather than
32 > scratch candidates up front via Bylaws.
33 >
34 > [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Bylaws#Section_5.2._Qualification
37 I think that as long as the time question is taken into account it'd be
38 fine. I do wonder if having someone from the US is needed for tax /
39 legal reasons (that's one of the reasons I was brought in).
42 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)