From: "Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike)" <klondike@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Question for Trustee Candidates
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 01:56:41
1 El 17/7/20 a las 22:41, Roy Bamford escribió:
2 > How do the candidates that favour maintaining our own legal entity intend to attract
3 > a) more members?
4 > b) members willing and able to serve as trustees?
5
6 Hi Roy,
7
8 Other than by plain publicity, it is going to be hard to attract more members, specially since we can't (and shouldn't) force anybody to be a member to contribute to the project. We could at best try to recruit non developers that are active on the community but that would be about it. On the other hand, having more, non invested, members would be a problem to avoid as it would only make things harder (for example attaining quorum).
9
10 As for attracting people willing and able to serve as trustees, there are a few issues to consider that may be driving people away:
11 1 The (until now) bad standing of the foundation with the tax office. Which I know first hand has driven away some people.
12 2 The fact only developers may be a member of the board and not any stakeholder. Which reduces the pool of people as the intersection of people with strong technical interests and a passion for management is fairly small.
13 3 The still present lack of knowledge on what the foundation does and its purpose.
14
15 Issue 1 is mostly solved (for now) or so I understood it.
16
17 Issue 3 can be addressed by doing more active PR.
18
19 Issue 2 is a more serious one. Not only for the foundation but also for many other parts of gentoo (recruiters, undertakers, bug wranglers, news) are affected by the fact that most Gentoo developers have a technical profile and little or no interest in performing non-technical duties. Two of the projects that have addressed that by active recruitment from the community are the forums and op projects. That is among other reasons because they are fine delegating certain tasks to non developers and because the members they recruit are usually strongly invested in the projects themselves. For the Foundation, addressing this problem is hard. Most users aren't aware or interested in the Foundation's activities, and those who are would most likely need to pass the quizzes (and I'm not saying that they are hard but they are an additional entry barrier). A good solution to this problem will likely require deeper changes to the community and project so that such entry barriers can be
20 lowered and is, therefore, unlikely to happen.
21
22 klondike