From: Matthew Summers <matthew.summers@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Cc: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:43:45
Roy Bamford wrote:
> > > Many new users come to gentoo as their first Linux. Many of them > are poorly informed about both Linux and Gentoo - I don't know how > to reach this group *before* they start asking for help in #gentoo > and on the forums. Thats the sort problem we have to solve. > >
Roy, Towards a solution to this particular issue above, I suggest Gentoo provides a documentation project (possibly) entitled "Learning Linux with Gentoo". Within this we could easily address many issues faced by new Linux/Gentoo users. It would seem, as well, to be a good service to the Gentoo and larger Linux communities, as many users of other distros get information from our documentation pages as well as our forums. This could potentially increase Gentoo's exposure as well as our user base by "de-mystifying" Gentoo and basically easing new users into our way of operating, while also providing a great resource for all Linux/Gentoo users. I do want to state that this is not in any way intended to disparage the efforts of the Gentoo Documentation Project in any way. I think our docs are fantastic in many ways. I am simply suggesting some various extensions to that documentation base as well as some updates. This would also fit into my earlier proposition regarding the use of university technical writing interns for said documentation projects as posted to this list and syndicated as a guest post on Joshua Jackson's (tsunam) blog. As always, I offer my assistance/support in the aforementioned endeavor. Best Regards, Matthew W. Summers (quantumsummers) -- gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list