From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Questions For Gentoo Foundation Trustee Candidates
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 15:54:53
1 On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 03:29:34PM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 10:53:48AM -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
3 > > > > 2. Will all candidates explain the reasoning supporting their position
4 > > > > on their future plans for the existence (or otherwise) of the Foundation.
5 > > >
6 > > > The reasoning is simple. We haven't been able to maintain Foundation
7 > > > in really good standing *for years*. Even if we are closing to
8 > > > *finally* fix things, it mostly relies on a few people putting a lot of
9 > > > work, and this means low bus factor. There's no way to know that
10 > > > a future Trustee board won't mess everything up again, and we still
11 > > > barely have any candidates in the elections.
12 > > By-laws can mandate the retention of a CPA.
13 > Can, but possibly shouldn't. Just because our filings are complex now,
14 > doesn't mean they always will be. The SPI's 990 filings were initially
15 > prepared with the aid of a CPA, but later on were prepared directly by
16 > the SPI's treasurer, as they gained confidence in the process.
17 >
18 > > Additionally, reimplementing the
19 > > "removal of officers" section of the by-laws is paramount. I am shocked this has
20 > > been removed/deleted.
21 > No. It isn't, because it would simply be a partial repeat of the
22 > previous section, 6.4 "election and term", which contains:
25 In context, my point here is that the general membership should have the ability
26 to remove a trustee or the entire board, if so desired. I was not intending to
27 be precise or definitive in the semantics.
28
29 Simply: The general membership ought to have a mechanism to remove the entire
30 board, a single trustee, etc.
31
32 > "Each officer shall be appointed by the Board of Trustees and shall hold
33 > office until such time as the officer resigns or is removed by the Board
34 > of Trustees"
35 >
36 > Emphasis on "is removed by the Board of Trustees".
37 >
38 > To the best of my knowledge, the original section came from the stock
39 > version of New Mexico bylaws for non-profits, and was less flexible.
42 Yes, a lot of the by-laws are boilerplate. Unless the states *requires* that we
43 put something in to the by-laws then we can simply pass by-laws that make sense
44 to us as a 501c3. Hence, my previous comments regarding a potential change to
45 the "removal of officers" section.
46
47 > The board must have the power to select & remove officers.
48 > The electorate must have the power to select & remove the board.
49 >
50 > --
51 > Robin Hugh Johnson
52 > Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
53 > E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
54 > GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
55 > GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136
60 Cheers,
61 Aaron