From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Questions For Gentoo Foundation Trustee Candidates
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 16:01:54
1 On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 11:54:48AM -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > > No. It isn't, because it would simply be a partial repeat of the
3 > > previous section, 6.4 "election and term", which contains:
4 > In context, my point here is that the general membership should have the ability
5 > to remove a trustee or the entire board, if so desired. I was not intending to
6 > be precise or definitive in the semantics.
7 >
8 > Simply: The general membership ought to have a mechanism to remove the entire
9 > board, a single trustee, etc.
10 Why do you act like there isn't already such a mechanism to remove one
11 or more trustees?
12
13 Section 5.6. Resignation and Removal of Trustees
14 A director may resign at any time upon written request to the
15 foundation. Furthermore, any director or the entire Board of Trustees
16 may be removed, with or without cause, by a vote of the majority of the
17 members entitled to vote for the election of Trustees or as otherwise
18 provided in the General Foundation Law of the State of New Mexico.
19
20 > > "Each officer shall be appointed by the Board of Trustees and shall hold
21 > > office until such time as the officer resigns or is removed by the Board
22 > > of Trustees"
23 > >
24 > > Emphasis on "is removed by the Board of Trustees".
25 > >
26 > > To the best of my knowledge, the original section came from the stock
27 > > version of New Mexico bylaws for non-profits, and was less flexible.
28 > Yes, a lot of the by-laws are boilerplate. Unless the states *requires* that we
29 > put something in to the by-laws then we can simply pass by-laws that make sense
30 > to us as a 501c3. Hence, my previous comments regarding a potential change to
31 > the "removal of officers" section.
32 >
33 > > The board must have the power to select & remove officers.
34 > > The electorate must have the power to select & remove the board.
35
36 To remove an officer is to remove an individual from a role that that
37 were put into by the board. The board CAN select non-trustee non-members
38 if it desires to fill roles (subject to constraints in bylaws & state
39 laws).
42 Robin Hugh Johnson
43 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
44 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
45 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
46 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136