From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@×××××.com>
Cc: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>, gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] drobbins, leadership, etc.
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 03:01:26
1 Caleb Cushing wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 16 January 2008 08:16:23 pm William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 >> Sorry but we don't need drama like that.To date the media is playing on
4 >> and reporting drama.
5 > really... well stop the drama then... I for one would like to see results...
6 > like I said almost the same conversation last year this time... and still the
7 > same problems...
8
9 Well, nobody is stopping you from helping out with some of the problems
10 you've brought up. If you want more ebuilds hitting your desktop,
11 volunteer to be an arch tester. Anybody can write ebuilds and submit
12 them to bugzilla. If you care greatly enough you can volunteer to be a
13 dev and maintain them. If you want to see GWN take off again write up
14 some articles and mail them to pr@g.o - I'm sure that they would
15 get published in some forum.
16
17 The problem with the dictator model is that the dictator can't simply
18 say "release more ebuilds" and have it mean anything. Ultimately it
19 comes down to individuals stepping up and contributing. A leader can
20 certainly inspire and set vision, and I don't think anybody is opposing
21 Daniel doing exactly this. You don't even need a title of any kind to
22 do that. What concerns people is a large scale change to the whole
23 organization that will make it dependent on one person. Certainly
24 Gentoo has its issues, but when you look at the day to day just about
25 everything is working just fine.
28 > A year ago Dan joined as a dev and then left. He did not at that time offer to
29 > take control, even when asked by some. Now he has offered.
32 I think that Dan has a lot to offer Gentoo. I think that some of the
33 issues he raises are valid ones, and the Gentoo leadership would do well
34 to try to stir people up. However, if Dan couldn't last more than a few
35 days as a dev, why would we expect him to do any differently as
36 President? It isn't like the job is easier, and it isn't like his title
37 would grant him an instant ability to get everybody to fall into line.
38 In a volunteer-driven organization you need to inspire people to follow
39 you - you can't order them to. That being the case, I don't see how
40 giving Dan legal powers will really benefit the organization, and from
41 an accountability standpoint it seems unwise...
42
43 > anyways I'm tired of this prove that change is needed argument... the fact
44 > that a sizable number of intelligent people think something is wrong,
45 > suggests that something is wrong.
46
47 I'd be the first to agree that change is needed. Just the forum poll
48 evidences that. However, I'm concerned that this particular change
49 won't fix things, and it could harm things greatly. Just because change
50 is needed doesn't mean that we need to implement the first major
51 upheaval that presents itself...
52
53 In any case, I think we're best off taking this steadily. Let's get the
54 legal mess cleaned up, the foundation back on solid ground, and work
55 with Dan to find a way where the best of his ideas can go forward. Lots
56 of people are stepping up and offering help in some of these areas -
57 there is no reason to think that this can't be turned around. And it
58 isn't like somebody is about to pull the plug on the DNS servers or
59 anything like that.
60 --
61 gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list