From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Cc: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Foundation Trustees nominations
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 14:15:49
1 On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera
2 (klondike) <klondike@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > Keep in mind that although the Gentoo
5 > Foundation is based on the USA, there is no reason (other than statu quo
6 > and therefore ease of management) to keep it there.
9 Really? Certainly many other reasons have been brought up on the
10 lists, but a few that come to mind include:
11
12 1. Lower regulatory overhead. For as much difficulty as we seem to
13 have filing our taxes/etc, the paperwork in the US is a lot easier
14 than in many places from what I've heard.
15 2. Tax benefits for US donors, assuming we ever get 501c3 status.
16 I'm not sure how important this really is, but a LOT of organizations
17 set up 501c3s in the US for this reason alone.
18 3. A big part of the Foundation's purpose is to be an IP holding
19 entity, and the US has some of the strongest IP laws in the world. If
20 for some reason we wanted to pursue a GPL violation case against
21 somebody we would get a lot further as a US company in a US court than
22 we would in a lot of other countries. I'm not saying I love US IP
23 law. I'm just pointing out that the reason copyleft works is because
24 of copyright, and stronger copyright laws actually result in stronger
25 copyleft protections. This is the beauty of copyleft - maybe some day
26 we'll see IP law reform, but until then having access to US courts
27 does help make the system work for us. I didn't mention trademark but
28 the protections are strong there as well.
29
30 There are of course benefits to being elsewhere as well and you've
31 touched on some of those. I'm not dismissing that. However, I think
32 it is a bit of a stretch to say that there are NO benefits to being
33 incorporated in the US beyond the status quo.
34
35 IMO there are probably benefits to having access to legal entities in
36 a few countries, but I'm not sure I'd want them to be Foundation
37 subsidiaries. And of course it requires people to step up and make it
38 happen, and keep it going.
41 Rich