From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Alternative methods for determining 'interest in Foundation affairs'
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2019 14:13:14
1 On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 9:13 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, 2019-09-06 at 05:11 -0700, Raymond Jennings wrote:
4 > > Considering that the undertakers attempted recently to involuntarily retire
5 > > a developer in spite of said developer's objection, and that said motion
6 > > was only stopped by direct intervention from the council, I believe I have
7 > > a good reason to advocate caution in regards to social procedures.
8 >
9 > This is not only an off-topic but also a blatant lie.
10
11 Either way I think it is irrelevant. Consider the possibilities:
12
13 * If they objected to being booted out and undertakers relented, that
14 is fair due process.
15
16 * If they objected to being booted out, appealed to council, and
17 council reversed the decision, that is fair due process.
18
19 * If they objected to being booted out, appealed to council, and
20 council allowed them to be booted, that is STILL fair due process.
21
22 Being a Foundation Member isn't some kind of human right. It makes
23 sense to limit membership to people who have an ACTIVE interest in the
24 affairs of the distro.
25
26 Sure, at some point there will be cases where somebody argues a dev is
27 active enough and others argue they aren't. Boundary conditions will
28 always exist. They won't be adjudicated perfectly. However, I trust
29 that people will generally make the right decision and if something is
30 borderline enough that there was reason to have doubt, then it
31 shouldn't be so controversial. When we start seeing undertakers boot
32 people who have 10 commits per week, or who have 20 bug comments per
33 week, or who send out 2 GLSAs per week, or publish a bunch of PR
34 stuff, or moderate 30 forum posts, and so on... Well, then we'll have
35 reasons to be concerned. We're splitting hairs about whether somebody
36 who has 3 commits a decade is or isn't active enough and using this as
37 a reason to maintain bylaws that might not make sense with voting
38 improvements.
39
40 Personally I like the status quo, but I can't really object to some of
41 the proposed improvements in the security/anonymity of voting, and
42 those will probably necessitate changing how we count Foundation
43 activity. Unless, that is, we just keep voting using the present
44 method or consider secret ballot less important.
47 Rich