From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Social Contract and potential liabilities
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 14:37:12
1 On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 > Lets take that one step further ...
3 > Say nVidia buys up all the graphics card chip makers in the world, including Intel.
4 > The make a new graphics engine that cannot be supported by open source - only the binary blob exists.
5 > That would give us a Social Contract issue. Either drop Xorg altogether or ship a binary driver that could
6 > not comply with the social contract. Probably worse, make a distro that supported the blob but not ship the blob.
7 > Readers with a long memory will remember a time when the nVidia driver could not be distributed, so Gentoo has been there.
8 > Until this whatif, there has always been alternatives.
9
10 Well, you could just not use X11. I'm not sure if Gentoo "depends" on
11 any packages inside of Gentoo strictly speaking. You can use the
12 Gentoo userspace without a Gentoo kernel. You can use a Gentoo kernel
13 without the Gentoo userspace. Almost everything in the Gentoo
14 userspace also has alternatives available and supplied by Gentoo. If
15 you're willing to jump through hoops you can "use Gentoo" while
16 avoiding anything that you don't like.
17
18 Gentoo has always been pragmatic. We aren't endorsed by the FSF
19 because we're considered compromisers on the FOSS ideal, and Debian is
20 in the same boat.
21
22 If anything, if NVidia were to take over the world we'd probably be
23 the distro that is LEAST impacted and which gives users the most
24 access to FOSS alternatives, even if we still shipped the NVidia
25 drivers.
26
27 And that is why I tend to be an advocate of compromise. I think you
28 get a lot further in promoting FOSS when you make a usable
29 distro/community/whatever that strives to adopt as much FOSS as
30 possible without making live miserable, than you do by making a
31 community that is more pure but where nobody wants to live. I WANT to
32 see FOSS succeed. I want to see us using Gitlab instead of Github or
33 whatever. However, given the choice of making it harder for people to
34 contribute or allowing them to contribute using non-ideal tools, I'm
35 going to tend to favor the latter.
36
37 It is better to promote FOSS by offering something better, rather than
38 trying to prevent people from using things which they feel are better.
39 Firefox killed off IE because it was better, not because it was FOSS.
40 I'd go further and argue that it was better BECAUSE it was FOSS. We
41 shouldn't constrain ourselves to a world where we have to pick and
42 choose.
43
44 So, why aren't we using Gitlab? Well, apparently it is a pita to host
45 on our infra, and we don't have a lot of infra to go around. I see a
46 lot of potential solutions, but I think the best long-term approach is
47 to better-distribute our infra. Offer openid/etc so that projects can
48 build their own stuff and tie in authentication. Make it easier for
49 people to "fork their own Gentoo infra" by duplicating all the
50 configuration of our systems and tie it into our own authentication
51 via openid, which then means that anybody can contribute patches back
52 to infra, etc. In general, make infra work a bit more like FOSS,
53 which I think is in keeping with our social contract anyway.
54
55 I think we're better off making Gentoo BETTER through FOSS than
56 arguing about whether others can try to make it better without using
57 FOSS.
60 Rich