From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Social Contract and potential liabilities
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 14:08:05
1 On 2015.10.24 13:33, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 [snip good stuff]
3 > Wkr,
4 > Sven Vermeulen
7 We need to draw a distinction between what goes into the distro and the tools used to produce and support the distro.
8 The what goes into the distro must adhere to the social contract. I can think of a few examples that Gentoo
9 includes as options that are not social contract compliant but Gentoo does not depend on them.
10 I will give an example later.
11
12 Tools can be divided into two groups too. Convenience tools and must have tools.
13 github falls into the former category. It can be replaced. We used to work without github, we could again.
14 It might not be as good a workflow but we would still distribute the same distro.
15 Developers who want to write code in Word on Windows (any version) can. The text files will be the same as any other $EDITOR
16
17 In the must have tools group are the tools used to distribute Gentoo. rsync, wget, ftp etc.
18 There is plenty of choice but we could go back to CDs and snail mail.
19 I can't think of any 'must have' tools that do not have alternatives.
20
21 Back to my example. Consider the binary blob graphics drivers.
22 They are not open source but we are permitted to distribute them under their licences.
23 There are alternatives therefore Gentoo does not depend on them.
24
25 Lets take that one step further ...
26 Say nVidia buys up all the graphics card chip makers in the world, including Intel.
27 The make a new graphics engine that cannot be supported by open source - only the binary blob exists.
28 That would give us a Social Contract issue. Either drop Xorg altogether or ship a binary driver that could
29 not comply with the social contract. Probably worse, make a distro that supported the blob but not ship the blob.
30 Readers with a long memory will remember a time when the nVidia driver could not be distributed, so Gentoo has been there.
31 Until this whatif, there has always been alternatives.
32
33 We can get picky. The example of the software running on routers has already been cited.
34 What about PC boot ROMs. Does Gentoo need to 'depend on' core-boot?
35
36 I'll conclude by offering the opinion that the Social Contract applies to the contents of Gentoo and any
37 tools used to produce the distro that do not have alternatives.
40 Regards,
41
42 Roy Bamford
43 (Neddyseagoon) a member of