From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Social contract and its effect on upstream software choices
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 10:40:01
1 On Fri, 2020-05-01 at 12:34 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > > > > > > On Fri, 01 May 2020, Alec Warner wrote:
3 > > Consider a case where we have a piece of software and its open source.
4 > > The open source software has various plugins, some of which look
5 > > useful and we may wish to deploy them for Gentoo. However, we must
6 > > consider the social contract, hence this discussion.
7 > > Can we use the plugins if:
8 > > (1) They are closed source (e.g. upstream provides binaries only with
9 > > a restricted non-free license.)
10 >
11 > IMHO it would contradict the Social Contract:
12 > "However, Gentoo will never depend upon a piece of software or metadata
13 > unless it conforms to the GNU General Public License, the GNU Lesser
14 > General Public License, the Creative Commons - Attribution/Share Alike
15 > or some other license approved by the Open Source Initiative (OSI)."
16 >
17 > > (2) They are free software (e.g. FSF / OSI approved license) but they
18 > > cost money.
19 >
20 > No problem there. Also, we can freely redistribute them if they are free
21 > software.
22
23 Are we talking of grsecurity here? ;-)
26 Best regards,
27 Michał Górny