From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Social contract and its effect on upstream software choices
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 10:34:27
1 >>>>> On Fri, 01 May 2020, Alec Warner wrote:
2
3 > Consider a case where we have a piece of software and its open source.
4 > The open source software has various plugins, some of which look
5 > useful and we may wish to deploy them for Gentoo. However, we must
6 > consider the social contract, hence this discussion.
7
8 > Can we use the plugins if:
9 > (1) They are closed source (e.g. upstream provides binaries only with
10 > a restricted non-free license.)
11
12 IMHO it would contradict the Social Contract:
13 "However, Gentoo will never depend upon a piece of software or metadata
14 unless it conforms to the GNU General Public License, the GNU Lesser
15 General Public License, the Creative Commons - Attribution/Share Alike
16 or some other license approved by the Open Source Initiative (OSI)."
17
18 > (2) They are free software (e.g. FSF / OSI approved license) but they
19 > cost money.
20
21 No problem there. Also, we can freely redistribute them if they are free
22 software.
23
24 > (b) A subset, its free software and it costs money but it is free
25 > for open source communities to use.
26
27 Same as (2).
28
29 > (3) They are open source, but not free (e.g. they have some kind of
30 > open license but are not FSF / OSI approved.)
31
32 "Open source" has a well defined meaning. If the software is under an
33 open source license (i.e., a license in our @FREE group) then I don't
34 see any difference to (2).
35
36 OTOH, if they're only "free as in beer" then pretty much the same
37 argument as for (1) applies.
38
39 > (4) They are open source (and free), but we have chosen to use the
40 > built plugins (rather than building from source) for the sake of time
41 > and convenience.
42
43 That's not the Gentoo way of doing things. However, I don't see a
44 problem with the Social Contract.
45
46 Ulrich