From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Bylaw proposal: Amend Section 4.3. Admission of Members: automatic developer membership
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 20:11:42
1 On 2016.10.13 20:21, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > On 10/13/2016 02:17 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 05:16:48AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >> On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 6:30 PM, Robin H. Johnson
5 > <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
6 > >>> TL;DR: move comrel, infra, PR to Foundation. Have strict(er)
7 > application
8 > >>> of policies to them in line with their powers.
9 > >> 1. I don't think we ought to be giving more power to the
10 > Foundation
11 > >> until the Foundation membership is re-aligned with the distro
12 > >> developer membership. We essentially have two democratic
13 > >> organizations with overlapping but different constituencies, and
14 > I'm
15 > >> not sure Gentoo could survive if they start trying to pull the
16 > distro
17 > >> in different directions since the community seems like it is barely
18 > >> above critical mass as it is.
19 > > Should we amend the bylaws such that all active developers are
20 > > automatically members of the Foundation, without specifically
21 > applying?
22 > > Thereafter, on developer retirement, failing to cast a vote in two
23 > > consecutive elections will end their membership.
24 > > Non-developers can still apply as before.
27 > The problem with this is that the current bylaws states that we need
28 > quorum (defined as 1/3 turnout) to have a valid vote. If we don't
29 > require voting we might loose that. (unless we want to do away with
30 > that)
31 >
32 > --
33 > -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)
37 Opt out rather than opt in will give us lots of members who never vote.
38 The quorum may come from the NM statutes, in which case its not
39 within our gift to change.
42 Regards,
43
44 Roy Bamford