From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Section 3.1 Place of Meetings
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:31:28
On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 14:17 -0600, RB wrote:
> [...]
That's true, but having experience with the legal system. It's not so cut and dry. The benefit must be worth the costs. It's pretty expensive and time consuming to get any sort of a judgment. More so if it must come from a judge, instead of a arbitrator, negotiation, etc. Then even if you are lucky enough to get a legal judgment. If it's one were you were awarded $ or etc. You get the joy of then having to collect on that. Of which you have to give up a percentage, unless you do it yourself. Much less the amount must be great enough for a collector to take interest. FYI, I have a legal issue/dispute right now with At&t wrt to advertising. I have spoken with their lawyers. Who because of cost versus benefit. Have removed themselves, and the matter is now back to At&t to resolve. I might counter sue in small claims or etc. But till I have a need, as in At&t tries to take some action, or places a lien, etc against my business. It's pretty moot, and they can't do a thing, that won't cost them more than they are already into things more. Very likely just cut their losses :) Also having being on the other side of things, I blew >$20k trying to recover some of a $150k investment in a partnership. Despite others advice, I didn't cut my losses. So instead of just $150k, that was $170k +. Not to mention a judgment was awarded at one point. For ~$60k, and I couldn't even find a collector willing for ~30%. I still have judgment, and I have collect 0 on it :( Now if all this was law suits over principles and there is no financial judgment to be collected on. The reward must really be great, to justify the expense. Which might not be $ but will surely be time. Legal stuff moves slower than molasses in Antarctica. -- William L. Thomson Jr. amd64/Java/Trustees Gentoo Foundation