From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Trademark License (name/logo usage) v2
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 19:01:08
1 On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:SwifT/trademark
4 >
5 > If you are aware of any blocking issues, I'm all ears. For improvements, I'm
6 > of course all ears as well, although I might first publish before improve
7 > (we're all agile nowadays aren't we ;-)
10 The FAQ section suggests that the Gentoo Foundation policy doesn't
11 apply in Europe. Are we certain that is true? The fact that one
12 entity claims ownership of a trademark in a region doesn't preclude
13 other entities from doing the same. Also, the EU is not the same as
14 "Europe."
15
16 This is just one more reason that it would make sense to have a
17 harmonized policy with the e.V. Besides ensuring alignment both
18 organizations might even be able to come to an agreement that if
19 either organization goes away or is taken over in a hostile manner
20 that the trademark reverts to the other. I think we're all trying to
21 accomplish the same things, but without a formal relationship between
22 the organizations I don't see how it is in either organization's
23 interest to just diminish its legal power by diluting their own
24 claims.
27 Rich