From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Trademark License (name/logo usage) v2
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 18:45:23
1 On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 06:15:26PM +0000, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > It's been a while since the first draft of the trademark license. The
3 > previous discussion can be found at the GMANE archives [1]. As you might
4 > still remember, we are in process of updating this license to accomodate to
5 > the frequently asked questions regarding the name and logo usage and update
6 > it so it is easier to understand.
7 >
8 > As part of the previous discussion, I also checked if Gentoo e.V. (who holds
9 > the trademark in Europe) would like to have a single, common license. As
10 > there was no feedback (and currently the mailing list site for gentoo-ev
11 > seems to be down so I can't confirm through its archives that I didn't miss
12 > an answer) I've updated the document to reflect that the license is for
13 > U.S.A. (and other countries using the U.S.A. trademark jurisdiction).
14 >
15 > I also added in the link to the trademark license as published by Gentoo
16 > e.V. [2] so that European people can easily find it.
17 > >
18 [...]
19 > [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.nfp/1392
20 > [2] https://www.gentoo-ev.org/wiki/Marke
21
22 Slowly but surely we're approaching the next steps.
23
24 We had some discussions with a few Gentoo e.V. people regarding the
25 potential alignment of trademark usage across the Gentoo Foundation and
26 Gentoo e.V. Due to time and resource constraints, we're not going to wait
27 for this although we both agree that eventually better alignment would be
28 good for the community.
29
30 That being said, the Gentoo Foundation would like to go forward with the
31 renewed trademark document, whose draft is currently at the following
32 location:
33
34 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:SwifT/trademark
35
36 The small changes since the last (more than a year ago) draft is that we're
37 a bit more clear about potential logo modifications that are allowed (and
38 more specifically, not allowed) as well as the state for using the Gentoo
39 name or logo for things like overlays and other projects benefiting the
40 community as a whole.
41
42 I'd like to publish this new trademark use document by May 1st (well, around
43 that period - don't pin me on the exact date/hour) to replace the current
44 one, documented at
45 https://www.gentoo.org/inside-gentoo/foundation/name-logo-guidelines.html
46
47 If you are aware of any blocking issues, I'm all ears. For improvements, I'm
48 of course all ears as well, although I might first publish before improve
49 (we're all agile nowadays aren't we ;-)
50
51 Wkr,
52 Sven Vermeulen