From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [gentoo-nfp] Foundation meeting agenda for April 2018 - update1
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 18:00:31
1 On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 1:05 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > by banning me on this
4 > list, you are infringing my right as a Foundation member to offer feedback
5 > related to the direction of Gentoo Foundation.
6
7 You do not need to post on a mailing list to do so. You could simply
8 contact the trustees via email/etc. The bylaws do not mention this
9 list as the only way to conduct official business, and in fact refer
10 to other ways for members to inform the Foundation of official
11 business. Not having access to this list does not infringe on
12 anyone's legal rights as a member.
13
14 I own stock in various corporations. This does not give me the
15 unconditional right to access their property, or use whatever social
16 media or communications channels they may have. If I were disruptive
17 it wouldn't even give me an unconditional right to attend an official
18 meeting of stockholders. If I accumulated sufficient votes I could
19 force a corporation to put a proposal to a vote against its wishes,
20 and the same right is afforded to any Foundation member (they need
21 signatures from 10% of the membership to do so as far as I can tell).
22 Even this doesn't give me the right to just send arbitrary
23 communications to other shareholders - at best I'd get to put a single
24 reasonable-length proposal in a proxy statement, right next to a
25 rebuttal provided by the company with no ability for me to further
26 respond.
27
28 Whatever rights the Trustees may have to oversee the operations of
29 this list or the servers it is hosted on do not extend to random
30 members of the Foundation.
31
32 I'm not really sure why we'd expect this list to be different from any
33 other Gentoo list. They all use the same infrastructure, and I don't
34 see why we wouldn't want to enforce the CoC in the same way
35 everywhere. If the CoC is bad then it should be fixed. If it is good
36 then it should be followed. If its enforcement is bad that should be
37 fixed, and if not it should be allowed to function. These are not
38 things we as individuals get to make unilateral decisions on.
39
40 IMO it would make sense to harmonize Foundation membership with CoC
41 enforcement, as it does not make sense to ban somebody from
42 participating in the community but allowing them to vote for our
43 board. However, this is somewhat tangential to this specific issue,
44 as is the details of how they might be reconciled.
47 Rich