From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo metastructure reform - reality and SPI
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 14:08:54
1 On 01/17/2017 05:46 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I think this structure could work -- despite being dependent on an
5 >> outside entity -- as long as our contract with SPI allows us to retain
6 >> rights to our assets. i.e. they can't rob us blind in the event of a
7 >> falling out or something.
8 >
9 > Who would even be the parties to such a contract? The Gentoo
10 > Foundation would almost certainly sign a contract handing over the
11 > assets, but unless we keep it around (which involves almost all the
12 > work it does today; maybe a little less if it has no financial
13 > transactions though I'm not sure if such corporations generally are
14 > allowed to exist) then there is no successor in interest to the
15 > contract. Legally nobody would have standing to enforce the contract.
16 >
17 > If SPI screws over Debian, then legally there is no "Debian" to
18 > contest the matter in a court. SPI IS Debian as far as the law is
19 > concerned. Ditto for Arch/Postgres/Libreoffice/FFMpeg/Xorg/etc.
20 >
21 > Now, what I don't know is who their members/shareholders are legally.
22 > They would have standing to initiative a shareholder lawsuit if they
23 > felt that the corporation were not staying true to its charter. If
24 > the project liaison becomes a shareholder then that becomes some
25 > avenue of recourse, though we have no way to compel our project
26 > liaison to take a particular action, just as today we have no way to
27 > compel the Trustees to run the Foundation in any way (at least, not
28 > legally).
29 >
30 >> What really should decide this imo are the people who have been doing
31 >> foundation work already. Ask them if they're okay with throwing away
32 >> their work for a company to handle it for us. They're the ones most
33 >> impacted by such a decision and deserve the most influence imo.
34 >
35 > Nobody should be contributing with the expectation that people in the
36 > future are beholden to them.
37 >
38 > I'd argue that drobbins did a lot more work on this front than any of
39 > the current Trustees. Should we have him decide for us?
40 >
41 > The stuff I contribute to Gentoo is freely given. If I'm gone in a
42 > few years I'd hope that the people carrying forward the work of Gentoo
43 > would focus on what makes it most efficient for them to contribute and
44 > not stop and wonder "what would this random past developer want us to
45 > do?"
46 >
47 I wasn't referring to retired or otherwise-gone developers, just the
48 ones who've been doing it and are still around. They likely have voting
49 power to begin with, but it's their work we'd be throwing away. It's up
50 to them if they want to keep trying to work it out or if we should throw
51 in the towel and take a chance on SPI.
52
53 If we decide to go with SPI, I hope at least one of us thinks of an
54 alternate name should things fall out, we lose our trademark/assets, and
55 have to fork. I'd argue that this same lack of foresight likely created
56 a lot of the issues surrounding the foundation in general. The bus
57 factor in particular seems dangerously low.
60 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
61 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
62 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6