From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Section 4.1 Member Classes
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 19:32:17
William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 10:36 -0700, Chrissy Fullam wrote: >> How would Gentoo benefit from having non-developers (individuals as you put >> it) and businesses (you don't mention sponsors so I presume any business, >> say Intel) be allowed to become part of the foundation and have a vote? > > By allowing the greater community to feel they are participating and > have a role in Gentoo. Not limiting the Gentoo community to just > developers.
Why not?
> Also everything I have been reading in posts, and hearing in like > interviews. Which includes Vapier/Spanky's recent interview. Pretty much > calls for help from the community beyond development stuff. So those > people should have some form of representation.
Right now the major issue I see within gentoo, past the rudeness that result in removal of poisonous people, is the will to do something ELSE than our core values: experiment, enjoy the results, have fun.
> Unless you or others feel we should ignore the community.
Which community?
> And only reflect the will of the community through developers and > the council.
I do not see any problem with that. Who does, decides his own fate.
> Just to play out a scenario real quick for those concerned with power. > The community would like to see A. The foundation hears that, and goes > to the council and says hey. There is lots of interest in A. What are > the chances of it happening? Council makes a call/ruling, and that's > that.
Bogus. People would like to see A, developers found A interesting, discussion happens among them, A gets done or not depending on the consensus The council got involved only IFF the consensus hadn't been reached. The foundation has NOTHING to do with this.
> If the community is unhappy, sorry we can't please all. But at least > this way they have some influence, can participate in some way, and at > least are heard.
Gentoo is a volunteer project, your value/honor/weight is given by your contribution to the project, that doesn't mean that non-developers have no chance to give an input, that just means that they have to convince others that their idea has a value. Everybody is free to participate by proposing on the gentoo-dev mailing list, contacting developers working on the area they are interested in, helping project and subprojects within Gentoo evolving.
>> Also you mention Gentoo making money off this arrangement, can you please >> elaborate how the money comes into play? Where does it come from, how do we >> determine how much, and what do we do with it, etc? > > Money would come from businesses wishing to be members. Not from > individuals. The amount is yet to be discussed, and I am open there. But > I do feel a tiered system is based. Where the amount does change based > on company size.
We got already sponsors, how that would change the relations we have with them? Again being a volunteer project the main contribution should be made in time and people. A business should hire developers or provide people willing to develop for Gentoo. Money by itself is less interesting and useful.
> I think it's unfair to require a large corporation to pay the same > amount to be a member as a small to medium sized business. Maybe it's > unfair to have a tiered system where they pay different amounts. Not > sure. Up to debate, discussion, and majority there.
I think that's unfair thinking about this.
> As a business would have a benefit of using Gentoo. In some form, that > one would assume is reflected on their bottom line, profit wise. I feel > they should give back to the community. While that is optional now. If > they want to participate in some form beyond just contributing $. Then > they should be required to pay for such privileges. Essentially paying > for a membership, and right to vote.
They should get their right to vote by doing not buying.
> ( This would never apply to individuals, which would be free to join, > short of filling out an application/form, maybe a quiz, etc. )
Business last time I checked is done by individuals.
> Now we are talking about a very small amount of influence if any at all.
Considering what you suggested in another thread and on irc, it looks quite a large amount once the foundation got some of the power the council is supposed to have.
> Being as how the foundation does not steer or control the project. The > council does.
But strangely you are the same person asking for more power to the trustee.