From: Michael Haubenwallner <michael.haubenwallner@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] prefix ebuild's api suggestion
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:10:25
1 On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 21:27 -0600, Kito wrote:
2 > On Jan 26, 2006, at 11:10 AM, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
3 >
4 > > The idea is to substitute this with a bash-function, echoing a prefix.
5 > >
6 > > This function could be defined to get one argument, which is much like
7 > > the same syntax as the *DEPEND settings, but only for a single
8 > > package.
9 > > If no argument, the current package is used.
10 > >
11 > > Yes, the current implementation would be simple:
12 > > prefix() {
13 > > echo $PREFIX
14 > > }
15 > >
16 > > But the idea behind that is:
17 > >
18 > > Once portage could handle interdomain dependencies, the prefix-api
19 > > need
20 > > not to be changed to let ebuilds find the prefix of their
21 > > dependencies.
22 >
23 > So really, portage needs to imitate pkgconfig on some level, probably
24 > just start by looking in the vdb, shouldn't be too hard in a single
25 > domain/vdb situation. The interdomain bit is going to depend on many
26 > factors unknown to me, and not something we should pursue in the
27 > current 2.x codebase, but I assume saviour has at least the entry
28 > points to make this possible.
29
30 Sure, not in 2.x, just to be prepared.
34 > > Another possible feature in the future (not finished thinking about
35 > > yet)
36 > > could be to have portage install each (non-system-)package into a
37 > > separate prefix within its domain, without need to change prefix-api.
38 > > This could help ebuild-devs to detect unknown dependencies, which are
39 > > not found implicitly if not specified at configure-line.
40 > > Well - only for a testing system, and to be enabled explicitly
41 > > by setting FEATURES.
42 >
43 > This probably isn't as crazy as you might think. With ROOT, and a
44 > little more work on PREFIX, it should just be a matter of setting
45 > these appropriately on a per package basis. The other possible use
46 > for this would be creating package bundles with complete dep trees
47 > suitable for distribution.
48
49 Wow, ideas over ideas, and they all are conceivable!
50
51 -haubi
52 --
53 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list