From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] prefix ebuild's api suggestion
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:17:12
1 On Jan 26, 2006, at 11:10 AM, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2
3 > The idea is to substitute this with a bash-function, echoing a prefix.
4 >
5 > This function could be defined to get one argument, which is much like
6 > the same syntax as the *DEPEND settings, but only for a single
7 > package.
8 > If no argument, the current package is used.
9 >
10 > Yes, the current implementation would be simple:
11 > prefix() {
12 > echo $PREFIX
13 > }
14 >
15 > But the idea behind that is:
16 >
17 > Once portage could handle interdomain dependencies, the prefix-api
18 > need
19 > not to be changed to let ebuilds find the prefix of their
20 > dependencies.
21
22 So really, portage needs to imitate pkgconfig on some level, probably
23 just start by looking in the vdb, shouldn't be too hard in a single
24 domain/vdb situation. The interdomain bit is going to depend on many
25 factors unknown to me, and not something we should pursue in the
26 current 2.x codebase, but I assume saviour has at least the entry
27 points to make this possible.
30 > Another possible feature in the future (not finished thinking about
31 > yet)
32 > could be to have portage install each (non-system-)package into a
33 > separate prefix within its domain, without need to change prefix-api.
34 > This could help ebuild-devs to detect unknown dependencies, which are
35 > not found implicitly if not specified at configure-line.
36 > Well - only for a testing system, and to be enabled explicitly
37 > by setting FEATURES.
38
39 This probably isn't as crazy as you might think. With ROOT, and a
40 little more work on PREFIX, it should just be a matter of setting
41 these appropriately on a per package basis. The other possible use
42 for this would be creating package bundles with complete dep trees
43 suitable for distribution.
46 > What do you think about this ?
49 =)
50