From: "Dirk Schönberger" <dirk.schoenberger@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] New document: Project targets
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:58:52
1 > If you want to keep a "pure" Unix system hierarchy (which is my intention)
2 > you should try to keep all elements on the place
3 > where they are expected. This means no additional appendizes just because
4 it
5 > is technically opportune.
6
7 > If I wanted a unclean file system, I could change to DarwinPorts or Fink
8 ;)
9
10 Just to show what I mean:
11
12 My idea is to implement a better MacOS GUI integration of Gentoo installed
13 tools.
14 This means real app folders which contain the actual GUI and which call the
15 correct Unix executables.
16 These packages could either directly packages in ebuilds, or they could be
17 external packages which are dependent on the actuall application.
18 I.e. something like
19
20 depends on
21 ghostscript-gui <----- ghostscript
22
23 In a non-prefixed approach, I can be sure that there will exist an
24 executable /usr/bin/gs, which I can call.
25 What I am to do in a prefixed system? Hope that the users did not forget to
26 call setenv-gentoo on bootup?
27 Start a local shell which calls setenv-gentoo, which maybe itself be
28 somewhere on
29 /Volumes/usbdrive/.hidden/far_away/big/long/path/to/gentoo/bin/setenv-gentoo
30 And do a exec "/bin/sh gs"? This sounds like a rather big security problem
31 to me, because nothing stops any malware to change things like
32 the path variable.
33
34 Regards
35 Dirk